Author: Breezy Point Mom
•6:39 PM
HAPPY NEW YEAR to all!!

Somehow I stumbled onto an online video from a professional photographer giving tips on photographing Christmas displays. So I tried out his advice. Basically, he said to:

1. Turn off the flash

2. Set the exposure high, like ISO 400 or 800 (or on my camera, +2.0)

3. Experiment with the white balance until you find what looks best. In my case, I set it to "incandescent" so that my photos wouldn't end up with too much of a yellowish tint.

4. Use a tripod, if available, to prevent blurring

5. Photograph the house around dusk, before it is fully dark, to get the best effect.

I set about doing these things, and had a good time experimenting, both indoors and out. Here are the results:









|
This entry was posted on 6:39 PM and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

3 comments:

On January 1, 2009 at 8:37 PM , 40winkzzz said...

I think I like the second of the three pics best in both cases (outdoor & indoor). Of the lights, I mean. I realize that Indoor Pic #2 does not include your beautiful children.

Funny you should post this. I JUST got finished emailing someone about a photography class I might take this month.

 
On January 2, 2009 at 7:42 AM , June said...

I think I read that same article. I tried the tips but I think it was already getting too dark plus I didn't take the time to pull my tripod out. You got some nice shots.

 
On January 6, 2009 at 5:45 PM , Lisa said...

Great pics! Hope you're having a good year so far.