Author: Breezy Point Mom
•6:57 AM

When I grew up in the suburbs of New York City, I never, ever heard any references to my small New Jersey town on the radio. I rarely even heard any news about my entire county; the few times I did was in the later years when I was an adult. My county was just across the Hudson River from NYC, but it never made the radio news. All reports had to do with the five boroughs of New York City, or maybe places like Long Island, Yonkers, and White Plains.

When I moved to my present state of residence, I was also in a suburb of a large sprawling city near a state university campus. So from time to time, I would heare references to places near our neighborhood. Yep ~~ the media, and too often the crime, was getting closer.

So imagine my surprise this morning when my radio alarm went off. I was listening to a traffic report and it mentioned the cross street intersection at the end of my little dirt road, mentioning our little street by name! Our little dirt road, way out in the country, apparently too short to be called a "road" and instead called just a "point". Supposedly a building was on fire. I donned my fleece jacket and went outside in the 43 degree weather to see what was the matter. Hmmm. Nothing I could see from our yard. I checked our own barn - nope, okay. Not even a plume of smoke, no smell, no flashing lights, no noise. Then I checked the city newspaper website, and sure enough, a little down the road, both lanes are supposedly blocked due to "fire activity". Maybe it is a cat in a tree? Talk about a good excuse for DH to roll over and go back to sleep: "Boss, didn't you hear the radio this morning? It was all over the news."

POST SCRIPT: I thought the above image would be a good attention getter, just like the radio report was for me. Not too many things would make me run outside in the dark morning at 43 degrees.

UPDATE: At 9:30 a.m. - THIS WAS NO JOKE. A family actually lost their house overnight. DH passed it on the way to work, about a third of a mile from our house, and he said the house looked like it had been burned up inside, although the outside walls were okay. The roof was burned out. How sad!!! The fire department must have put the fire out by the time I was looking down the road early this morning. When you live in the country, you have to consider that there are no fire hydrants near your house, and this can really make a huge difference. The fire station is less than a mile from here, yet a house was lost.

Now I look above at how casually and flippantly I wrote this morning's early post, trying to inject some humor, and now realize that a family near us lost their home today! Yet another reminder to me how quickly and dramatically things can change in life.

|
This entry was posted on 6:57 AM and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

3 comments:

On January 15, 2009 at 2:31 PM , Chocolateer said...

Wow. Did you know the family? Perhaps you and your church can use it as an opportunity to minister to them so that some good might come out of the sorrow of losing a home.

 
On January 15, 2009 at 4:53 PM , Marjie said...

How strange that you couldn't see a glow from your house! And I would give anything for 43 degrees. It was 9 here this morning, and expected to be -2 tomorrow.

The house at the bottom of our street burned when my oldest son was in 7th grade. He was walking down the hill to get the Sunday paper, saw smoke coming out of the house, realized their car wasn't there, and ran across Main Street to the deli to call 911. The house was a loss, but their dogs were rescued while the family was at church. If the family's OK, the rest is just "stuff". That being said, I'm glad it wasn't your house.

 
On January 15, 2009 at 10:06 PM , Lisa said...

That is so sad! A few years ago, a house in the circle behind our home caught fire during the night. Everyone was okay, but the house was a total loss. They were able to rebuild the house over several months.