Author: Breezy Point Mom
•3:34 PM
I have joined Homeschool Memoirs, and the first theme begins today. The writing idea is as follows:
This week, we want to hear about YOU. The author behind the words. The Momma behind all the homeschooling kiddos. Just write up something about you, your family, and your home. How long you’ve been homeschooling and why you decided to homeschool. It doesn’t have to be anything lengthy at all, but we’d love to hear it! You might include a family photo too!

Well, first off, I have only been in the blogosphere for two months, and I am thoroughly enjoying it. I have been married for 14 years, and am a homeschooling mother of two children, ages 5 and 8. We live in a rural area in Florida, in a home on 5 acres. I have now been homeschooling for 5-1/2 years, ever since my DS turned 3. It has been a journey for which I am always thankful. Sure there are some days that aren't so great, but that would apply to anything that I set my hand to. I have my hand fixed firmly on this plow, and there is no turning back.

Deciding to homeschool hit me like a bolt of lightning when my DS was 2-1/2. Prior to then, I had never given it any thought. We were planning to send the children to a local Christian school. Now, I can't imagine life any different! One day, I visited a school supply store in my area (L*keshore), and when I was leaving I picked up a freebie newspaper that was in a rack by the exit of the store. I think the newspaper was all about homeschooling. I read articles that evening on homeschooling, and followed up by investigating websites and library books on the topic. It didn't take long before I was "sold", and then there was no problem convincing my DH of the soundness of the idea. So, I knew it was of the Lord. Nowadays, homeschooling has become such an integral part of my identity that I view life completely differently than I did in those days. Homeschooling means Freedom!

This is a photo of our family last September on vacation on the Blue Ridge Parkway. Another benefit of homeschooling. We can take those vacations at any time of the year we desire. I am looking forward to writing these weekly themes and meeting more of you homeschool moms.

p.s. This first post is in memory of my mother, whose first name was Etta. Today is her birthday. She has been with the Lord over 17 years, and would have turned 85 today.
This entry was posted on 3:34 PM and is filed under , , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

11 comments:

On August 20, 2008 at 4:47 PM , Jen said...

Love your entry! I am looking forward to getting to know you!

Blessings,
Jen
www.t2chk.org/jensblog

 
On August 20, 2008 at 4:54 PM , Renee said...

Nice to meet you and your family. Wonderful family photo. Thank you for sharing a picture of your mother.

Renee'
http://rmboys2.wordpress.com/

 
On August 20, 2008 at 5:47 PM , JM said...

It's interesting to read how other folks got heir start. I think most would say with you though, "...homeschooling has become such an integral part of my identity..." :-)

JM

 
On August 20, 2008 at 6:52 PM , Miller Family said...

Violin Mom, THANK YOU. I read Romans 14 & 15 and there is so much freedom in these verses. I appreciate your comment and your words and can't thank you enough for visiting me.

Christine

 
On August 20, 2008 at 7:16 PM , Lisa said...

Lovely music to listen to while reading. I wish we could afford lessons for my oldest. It's nice getting to know you.
Lisa
www.houseofmanyblessings.blogspot

 
On August 20, 2008 at 7:36 PM , Lois O'Brien said...

It's nice to meet you! It looks like we have more than homeschooling in common--my kids are also learning to play the violin, and we have an adopted daughter from China!

Lois

 
On August 21, 2008 at 11:55 AM , Lois O'Brien said...

Hi Again!

I have just read all of your entries in your blog, and I enjoyed it thoroughly! Like I told you in my previous comment on this entry, our families certainly do have a lot in common--even more than I had originally noticed. Your thoughts about Calvert are so similar to mine about Abeka Academy. I know what you mean about people thinking that what we do is "school in a box," but I know that my kids are getting what they need as long as I follow my daily plans that are so well layed out. So, it's nice to hear someone else express similar thoughts.

I also enjoyed reading about your "going green." We've had to do that too. As I said on my blog, our electrical bills have been going way out of sight, so we have been cutting back on that as well--not out of environmental concerns, per se, but for financial reasons. It really is amazing how much money can be saved by changing just a few bad habits!

Your thoughts on living simply and on how homeschooling gives kids freedom and confidence that they may not otherwise have ring true with us as well.

So, again I am glad to meet you. I will certainly be a regular visitor to your blog!

Lois

 
On August 22, 2008 at 9:41 AM , Sherry said...

Great to meet you! You have a beautiful family! What a wonderful picture of your mom, too!

Have a great homeschool year!
Sherry
http://lampuntomyfeetandalightuntomypath.blogspot.com/

 
On August 22, 2008 at 10:22 AM , Anonymous said...

Only two months and you already have a pretty background and things on your sidebar? I'm impressed. You are a much faster learner than me. :>)
Many Blessings,
Holly@aiminghigh
www.homeschoolblogger.com/aiminghigh

 
On August 22, 2008 at 7:36 PM , Dana said...

I LOVE the music on your site. My 14 year old daughter plays violin and it just grabs me and pulls me in every time I hear her play. It's so moving! And I love the photo of your mother. Those old photos are so classy - I think I was born in the wrong era! LOL

My link: http://cherry-soup.blogspot.com/2008/08/homeschool-memoirs-1-all-about-you.html

 
On August 23, 2008 at 10:31 PM , MrsMomma said...

Nice to meet you!

Blessings,
Heather