Author: Breezy Point Mom
•2:56 PM
In a parallel universe, yesterday was to have been a Big Day for my daughter. You see, had we not been homeschooling, it would have been her First Day of Kindergarten. I was very mindful of that fact over the weekend, thinking about how I would have been getting all her clothing ready, and getting her up around 6:30 in the morning. I wonder how she would have felt at the prospect? Excited? Nervous? How would she have reacted when I left her in her classroom? Would she have begun the new chapter with confidence? The first day of school is a day that you never forget. At least I never did. But instead, August 18, 2008 will fade away as an utterly forgettable day in my DD's life.

Of course, it would have been an anticlimactic event because she would have been home with me today again anyway. All the schools in our part of the state were cancelled today due to the expectation of turbulent weather a la Tropical Storm Fay.

But no. The First Day of school was not to be this week. Providence has seen to it that I would choose to keep her home as a homeschooled Kindergartner.

And that she is.

In fact, neither of us even remember her first day of homeschool. I think she was around three years old, and it was some time in early 2006, but that's all I can recall. I think my little girl doesn't remember not being homeschooled.

I told her that it was the day that she would have begun school away from home. But that she was stuck home with me instead. She giggled sweetly.
So instead of beginning Kindergarten, my daughter was home with me, doing our Kindergarten lessons. She snuggled with me on the sofa, reading a Berenstain Bear book to me. She spent a good amount of time pretend playing with her big brother. We practiced violin without being exhausted from a long day. And she is on lesson 140 out of 160 lessons in Calvert Kindergarten. So she is nearly done with Kindergarten, and probably will be done by late September. After a vacation and short break, we will ease into First Grade. I am still at the stage where I feel rejuvenated at the thought of beginning a new grade with new books. In fact, I feel rejuvenated simply after looking over the Calvert catalog.

As I mentioned earlier, I believe that one never forgets their first day of Kindergarten. I remember very well parts of my First Day. I remember stepping off the bus and looking at the sidewalk as I approached the classrooms (our public school system actually needed to use our church facilities for their two kindergarten classrooms -- how funny is that?) I remember my teacher, Miss Devry, telling me to go into the room with the door with the big apple on the window. I remember choosing from one of the empty seats to sit down, so I sat at the end of a rectangular table. It would, in fact, become my "assigned seat" for the entire year. I remember how a boy and girl were seated at either side of me. Michael and Jennifer. I think they had made a pact with each other that they would torment whoever sat in the vacant seat between them, all year long. So I was that person, and they started in on me that first morning.

I believe that experience began a downward spiral of lack of confidence in me, and engendered many similar experiences which followed, having a profound effect on the person I am today. But despite all the pain along the way, I believe the effect has been a good one, overall. To use a cliche, I think I have marched to a different drummer ever since. But that has been good.

Still, it has played considerably into my decision to homeschool. And as a result, my kids are already becoming everything I wasn't. They are incredibly confident and secure. My son is tough as nails, and would never let his sense of self be dented in by any kid. My daughter, while secure, is more emotionally sensitive than he is. I think she would suffer more at the hands of a Michael or Jennifer. So I think that she needs the nurturing and safe environment of being a greenhouse plant, rather than being planted directly outside in the garden. I know there are many who would disagree with my thinking here, but I believe it will make her a stronger person in the long run, and let her childhood be a little less painful than mine was.

Right now the children are playing happily outside. They insist that they are playing in "hurricane Fay", but there is not a breeze or drop of rain in sight. I can hear their shrieks, laughs, and giggles from inside. May they always continue to be the best of friends!

post script: as I write, on 4:10 p.m. my husband called to tell me that he is coming home from work early. He had "early dismissal" from the office on account of Tropical Storm Fay. YIPPPPEEEE! I feel like I am a kid again, and we got a snow day!
This entry was posted on 2:56 PM and is filed under , , , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

3 comments:

On August 19, 2008 at 5:06 PM , Sandy said...

I didn't go to Kindergarten and I don't remember the first day of first grade. I do remember that first grade was scary and miserable and the teacher didn't like me. I also changed schools halfway through the year; a scenario that would repeat itself many times before graduation. School was never about me, it was always about school. Keep them home. Done well, it bears great fruit.

 
On August 19, 2008 at 5:26 PM , June said...

I think about those kinds of things every first day of school. I remember crying the year my twins were suppose to start because I was so grateful the Lord put it in my heart to keep them home with me. I have never regretted them not having a "first day".

How wonderful dh gets to come home early. I have a feeling mine will be home the rest of the week. Fay is due to turn into a hurricane and come back right over us! Stay safe!!

June

 
On August 20, 2008 at 3:57 PM , Marjie said...

I don't remember any first day of school before 2nd grade, although I remember (I think) all 6 of those schools (or was it 7?). If home is the most important thing in their worlds, they will remain friends: I recently quizzed one of my sons as to how he used 3000 minutes on his cell, and he responded that he talks to each of his 7 college/working siblings for at least an hour a week. I had nothing left to say.