Author: Breezy Point Mom
•11:30 PM

Wednesday, May 4, 2011 11:30 p.m.

I don’t know what has been keeping me away from this blog.  I have so much to tell you and so little time in which to do it.  Much will have to wait for another post.

Our children are heading to two different state violin competitions this month.  The first contests are on May 6/7, in J*cksonv*lle.  Then on May 14th is another contest, in Tall*h*ssee.  I don’t have much time to go into the details, but both children have been working hard all year for this.  The competition is very stiff this year, too.  It is just the way everything fell together this time.  But as of right now, both of my violinists are not discouraged.  They are working on doing their level best-est.

I am also in need of wisdom regarding whether our children ought to join a local youth orchestra.  Right now, my gut feeling is “yes”, although it will be costly in terms of time, gasoline, and money.  I hope I am not just being impulsive.  Like I said, I need wisdom in this decision (our violin teacher is of the old Russian school of thought that orchestras should be deferred as long as possible, so I know she will not be happy with the idea.  Even our Suzuki school director has mixed feelings, so I am really on my own here.)

But first, please pray that the upcoming competitions, regardless of the outcome, will be positive and God-glorifying experiences for both our children.  Can’t help it.  These weekends are always emotionally charged.

Also…

…. in other news,  Mamma has got herself a new K*ndle!

Yessirreee, this Luddite woman here is joining the brave new world of ebooking. 

It is my

“Birthday (5/8) / Mother’s Day (also 5/8) / Wedding Anniversary (5/14) All Rolled Up Into One In The Same Week” gift.

Happy happy happy.

|
This entry was posted on 11:30 PM and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

2 comments:

On May 7, 2011 at 5:20 PM , Linda said...

Hope your first competition is going well. Sounds as if you'll all be in the middle of it as I write.

From our experience of Suzuki first, orchestra later, orchestra really developed my children's sight reading and what I can only describe as musical gumption. They had to dig in and find their own solutions while rehearsing as part of a group. Our teacher was thoroughly steeped in Suzuki (and is now the main teacher trainer for Scotland), but had a professional career as an orchestral musician, and was very encouraging to our children to audition for the national children's orchestra. The main thing is to pick a good orchestra, with high standards but a caring attitude. I'll be interested to hear what decision you arrive at.

 
On May 8, 2011 at 12:29 PM , Linda said...

Oh, and happy birthday/Mother's Day/wedding anniversary!