Author: Breezy Point Mom
•8:13 PM
It is deep in the heart of summer, and temperatures are the highest they will get all year. Our porch had been neglected for awhile, but we are rediscovering its pleasant atmosphere, even during the dog days of summer. Our schedules are lighter, and there is more time to just sit and enjoy on those weekends that the grass doesn't have to be cut.

So lately, we have been making good use of our porch rockers. When other moms come for a visit, we chat on the porch rockers and keep an eye on the kids at play around the yard. I have been enjoying having my quiet times on the porch again, rather than indoors. Sitting on the front porch makes me feel more vivacious (caffeine just wasn't cutting it anymore..)

At first, when sitting out there in the morning, the air is close and humid and still. But after awhile, as the sunrise has its effect on the atmosphere, breezes begin to stir and cool and dry out the air and it feels great. And now my son has agreed to come out and do our morning scripture reading and discussion on the porch, instead of in the house. It makes us sit up, and be wide awake and alert and mentally and spiritually aware.

Just this Saturday, the guys (dh and ds) did some tractor repair work in the barn. They were there for awhile, and my daughter and I decided to spend the time playing Go Fish and Old Maid on the porch rockers. It was really nice, and the cool post-rainstorm air felt so relaxing. Later on, my son joined in on the card playing with her.

I enjoyed watching them have fun together. . . right on our front porch. I am thankful for a simple Saturday afternoon such as this was.
This entry was posted on 8:13 PM and is filed under , , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

2 comments:

On July 28, 2008 at 8:50 PM , June said...

Hello from another FL homeschooling mom! I love your porch! We are in the process of selling our home and moving and a big front porch is the main thing I want in a new home. We will see what the Lord has in store!

Keep cool!
June

 
On July 28, 2008 at 9:11 PM , Marjie said...

And, of course, the four-footed kid had to join in the fun! I cherish slow, simple days like this!