Author: Breezy Point Mom
•4:53 PM
I just have to get this off my chest today. We are being held hostage by our Congress, and certain environmentalists.

Consider exhibit A.






EXHIBIT A






These two vehicles each get about the same mpg. The silver one gets about 22 mpg combined city and highway. It seats two adults in front, and two young children in back. The blue van gets more - it gets about 23-24 mpg around town, about the same on the highway. It can carry 10 adults comfortably, plus they can stand up (and walk around) inside the van. At the same time, it can carry about anything you could need to carry. Inside, protected, in air conditioned comfort. The difference is that it is a diesel vehicle. Now can you imagine what the fuel economy would be if the silver car used diesel, too?

The fact is, there are diesel cars that get really great mpg. They have for a long time. They're driving Volkswagens in Germany that get 62 mpg. (see http://www.greencar.com/features/vw-polo-bluemotion/ ) They're diesel vehicles. They're compact, but much larger than the "Smart(?) for Two". Why can't we have this vehicle in the US??? This aggravates me.

Diesel is running cleaner than ever in the newer engines, with the ultra low sulfur mixture that's sold now. Yes, diesel costs about 20% more than gas does, but gee whiz - 62 mpg! And if you are really concerned about that all important CARBON FOOTPRINT, guess what? Burning fewer gallons equals less CO2 emissions. No sophisticated hybrids with hugely expensive batteries that will need replacement. No new technologies. Just simple diesel. And diesel engines last three times as long as gasoline engines. That engine that is getting worn out at 125,000 miles wouldn't wear out until 375,000 miles if it were diesel.

Sigh. I can't say this made me feel any better. Maybe someone will read it who can make a difference.
This entry was posted on 4:53 PM and is filed under , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

1 comments:

On July 11, 2008 at 12:25 PM , Marjie said...

Several years ago, I had some butthead in a parking lot make a snide comment about me getting out of my 1989 Suburban, alone, like I was an @$$hole for wasting resources. I turned around and said, "Listen, Stupid. I can fit 9 people in this thing comfortably, and I get 20 miles to the gallon. With my 42 gallon tank, that takes 9 people to Myrtle beach for under $100. Can you do that with your little crapbox?" Yeah, I know, it would be over $150 today. but the point remains the same. And people should think about things like that before they run their mouths. With more than 2 kids, a small car is worthless! And with a 6'4" husband, a small car is unhappy! We have to pay the price for what we need, and while there are weather issues related to running a diesel up north, there are other things to consider, too. I hope you make people think.