Author: Breezy Point Mom
•11:05 PM
Sometimes I feel funny about admitting to other homeschool moms that we use Calvert. There have been times where I have seen such curricula referred to as "school in a box", which I assume is meant derogatorily. Others have also referred to Calvert as a blend of Charlotte Mason and Classical. I'm not so sure about that. I guess there are some such characteristics that would lead one to think that way.

But Calvert is truly a good fit for our family, and for me. I am determined to make it work, too. We have been using Calvert for five years, having used the Pre-K, Kindergarten, First, Second, and currently Third grade materials. Each year, it gets better and better. This is the type of curriculum that I can still implement just as well on my "bad" days, as I can on my good ones. What do I mean by "bad" days? I would classify as "bad" those days when I feel lazy, or excessively tired, or void of creative juices, or headachey, or hormonish, well you get the picture. Then there are the other, good days, when enthusiasm is up all around, I feel creative, we desire to explore and do enrichment activities, etc. The good thing about Calvert is that I can educate my kids just as effectively, on good or bad days.

Calvert fits my temperament and my personality so well. At the beginning of the year, I see that 160 lesson-days (already planned out) plus 8 review days, constitutes an entire year of quality teaching. I just plug along, a lesson a day, until the grade is completed. I never worry about my children getting enough. And occasionally, if the lesson is unusually light, and we get done much earlier than normal, I can rejoice in the fact that we have an unexpected mini-vacation ..... without worrying that I am not teaching enough. This peace of mind is priceless.

Now, over the years I have done some supplementing. For instance, for enrichment, we have done Mystery of History Volume 1, and Hey Andrew Teach Me Some Greek, and also Bible study and Catechism supplemental material. But really, supplementing is not necessary, as my children are truly getting enough with just Calvert. Not to mention that they are also really being challenged, as well.

I could go on and on about Calvert.

About 18 months ago, I had major surgery. I'm talking surgery where the incision is the length of the Mason-Dixon line. The kind of surgery where you are considered down and out for about 6 weeks. My dh was able to take two weeks off from work during and after my surgery. This was wonderful, but the day came when he had to go back to work. Then I was faced with the choice -- either keep allowing my kids to have "play days" when they tear up the house, and I don't have the strength to chase after them, or get back into homeschooling.

Now many moms would truly cringe at the prospect of doing school two weeks after major surgery. But I thought I would give it a try, since I felt it would be better for the children to have structured days, and the only way I could figure out how to do this was to homeschool. So, I got out the trusty Calvert lesson manual and started in. And you know what? I was able to do it, maybe not a full lesson every day, but we could do a full lesson every two days for about two weeks, and then a lesson a day thereafter. I had to take one or two breaks each day at first, and by the time lunch came around, I would collapse into an easy chair and let my son bring me a sandwich he made.

But, the beautiful thing is that I could keep up homeschooling after surgery! And my children had just as good a quality of teaching as before. This is all due to the lesson manual, which teaches me how to teach, and allows me to homeschool even with a lazy mind (and body). Now what does that tell you about Calvert?

In third grade, Calvert includes a subject called "Greek Mythology". Wow, this is fun for us. My son loves it; it is his favorite subject. And I am learning the origins of many words and literary illustrations for the first time. I feel more "educated" knowing mythology, and as a Christian, I can always bring in comparisons with scripture to fit the different themes we encounter. This has provided for many an interesting conversation.

My daughter is doing the new Calvert Kindergarten. It is so rich, and she is learning so much. One amazing thing is that she is learning to write insofar as she is getting opportunities to compose sentences either by arranging word cards, or by dictating them to me to write short "compositions". She loves this, and it is part of the genius of Calvert, and why it excels in teaching student to write well.

Well, I will post more about Calvert on another occasion, but right now it is late and I am going to bed. Good Night! zzzzzzzzzzzzz
This entry was posted on 11:05 PM and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

4 comments:

On July 21, 2008 at 11:20 AM , Marjie said...

We've loved every bit of Calvert. My little guy loved Mythology also; and my older son joined in his brother's mythology lessons when they occurred. I agree that Calvert is close enough to perfect, and that is reinforced by the astonished reactions of people when they talk to my boys and realize how far above their peers they are!

 
On July 21, 2008 at 4:29 PM , Sandy said...

My philosophy of homeschooling is that you should do whatever it takes to make school happen every day. If that means 'school in a box' then that's what you do. I don't think I'd want that- I love my 'real books' too much. But, if I were going to use a textbook program, I wouldn't even shop around. I'd use Calvert, no questions asked. I love what you said about being able to do school on good days as well as bad. That's important to consider, but no one usually does.

 
On July 21, 2008 at 7:52 PM , Carol G said...

Hi Violin Mom! Thanks for stopping by my blog. I've enjoyed "meeting" you and reading your blog a bit. You have beautiful children.

As for the window that you noticed between our dining room and master bedroom: the former family living here about 4 years ago put it there to make it into a dining room, I think. The next family used it as a TV room/school room. We need it for a bedroom, so the window is not very convenient for us - especially when we have company or when the sun is shining in our faces very early in the morning!!!

You mentioned books (do we ever have enough room for our books?)...anyway I noticed your read aloud list. We've read many of the same ones. The other ones look good too. I'll have to copy your list and check them out!

Thanks again for stopping by.
Carol

 
On August 15, 2008 at 7:44 PM , SmallWorld at Home said...

Oh yes, the "school in a box" is always said in a derogatory fashion--but as my DH says, "Hike your own hike!" Good for you!