Author: Breezy Point Mom
•4:41 PM

March 10, 2011 4:41 p.m.

The other day we received back Chips’ first test for Calvert Sixth Grade.  I was very curious how it would turn out because I had taken a more “hands-off” approach this time.  In particular, I had made Chips take more responsibility for knowledge of course content in science, history, reading, and geography.  In the past, I would get very involved in the  preparation for these subjects, making sure I reviewed all the details with him.   But this time, I left it up to him, having required him to take good notes on all his reading along the way.  (I guess I am getting tired…)  Anyway, for science, history, and geography, I have been requiring him to outline all his reading in his spiral-bound notebooks.  He hasn’t always been happy about having to do this (imagine that!) but I stood my ground and kept reminding him that doing these outlines would make test day a slam dunk.

So, as I said, he got his first test set back, and guess what?  He got all “1s” (Calvert’s equivalent of “A”).  I was very proud of him, especially as he was more on his own than he ever had been before.  He really took responsibility for his learning in sixth grade. 

I’ve mentioned in the past how the A.T.S. teachers we have had all through the years have been pretty picky.  They have always held up a very high standard in grading our children’s work.  I have been surprised, wondering how much of the rigor was just talk and how much was reality.  Well, I’m here to tell ya, it is all reality!  I guess the last time Chips had a lenient A.T.S. teacher, it was his very first one – for 2nd grade.  He actually made the honor roll that year.  Never since!  Sweet Girl has never had a lenient A.T.S. teacher. 

When I saw Chips’ test come back, I studied all the markings and comments of this teacher and I am not sure this time.  Maybe this teacher will be a little bit easier?  We shall see.  Time will tell.

This entry was posted on 4:41 PM and is filed under , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

2 comments:

On March 10, 2011 at 5:10 PM , Marjie said...

Our 6th grade ATS teacher is Mrs. Pat S-------s. She is very fair, not lenient but not hard nosed, either. Mark has consistently gotten one 2 and the rest 1s this year. We just sent in Test 100, and are eagerly awaiting the results. He's chomping at the bit to get started on his research project, too. I hear you with getting tired and trying to let them take more responsibility in 6th grade. I do enjoy the discussion questions, and found it most amusing that Mark didn't enjoy King Arthur at all ("Too many love stories, not enough Knights, and not a single, continuing story," was his reasoning).

I love Calvert's ATS. And when I show it to the school board, they know I'm not just playing school with the kids. The high school guidance counselor was very impressed with Ryan's achievements, and he's doing wonderfully in 9th grade. Both quarters he's earned an 88 in Geometry, and grades between 93 and 102 in all of his other subjects. Hooray for Calvert and their most excellent preparation!

 
On March 10, 2011 at 7:32 PM , Anonymous said...

Good job, Chips! Isn't it neat to see your kids growing up?! I know it is such a joy for me! :)