Author: Breezy Point Mom
•8:45 PM
February 22, 2o1o 8:57 p.m.

... is that I did the best I could, trying to craft an understanding letter to this violin teacher, Miss O., who has been directing the Trio the past couple of years. I tried very hard to acknowledge her hurt feelings, while explaining why we had to make the decision we did for the group to end. I also gently explained some of the difficulty and tears my son has had this year, how her choice of music has made him hate Trio, and how he hasn't felt that anyone cared how he felt. I wrote to her in love, as a sister in Christ. I even apologized to her if I came off as frivolous last week, and for the bluntness of my son's 9-year old choice of words.

The letter was hand-delivered to her by my son yesterday morning at church. It was delivered with a smile and a hug. You see, I am trying to use this experience to teach my son how important it is to forgive.

But I feel like my writing efforts were a waste of time. I didn't hear an adequate response from her today when we saw her for practice. All I heard her say to the group was:

1. That my son needs to learn to like all music and not pre-judge music before he learns to play it.

2. That she is sorry the group is breaking up but that we have to go on with our lives and she will go on with hers and she might be better off for the extra time she will have for her own practice (she performs professionally).

All I can say is "Brrrrrr.....". It left me cold, and I expected a better response from this person.

But all I know is that I did my best, and I will have to stop worrying about Miss O from now on.
|
This entry was posted on 8:45 PM and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

4 comments:

On February 22, 2010 at 9:23 PM , Sandy said...

Even giving her the benefit of the doubt that she is responding from hurt feelings, this sounds like an immature and spiteful response, especially to a child. There is more that could be said, but a blog comment seems an inappropriate place. I'm sorry you're having to deal with this, especially since you go to church together. I hope it will not affect your son's love of music.

 
On February 23, 2010 at 3:38 PM , Marjie said...

You did the best you could, and good for you for teaching your children common courtesy. There's no excuse for Miss O's behavior. But, congratulations on your children's wins (next post)! I'm so proud of all 3 of you! I hope your son enjoys his music training next year more than this year's lessons.

 
On February 25, 2010 at 12:44 PM , Tara said...

You did ev erything you could do. She has alot of growing to do.

 
On February 27, 2010 at 10:13 PM , 40winkzzz said...

i'm catching up on blog-reading today. sorry to read about the troubles with your trio teacher. a situation like that would weigh heavily on me, too. i hope the situation will thaw out!