Author: Breezy Point Mom
•9:34 PM
January 3, 2010 9:58 p.m.

The party's over! Tomorrow we begin our routine lifestyles again. Homeschool lessons begin tomorrow. Little Son will start Fifth Grade, lesson one. Baby Girl will continue Second Grade from lesson eight (or just about the beginning of Second Grade).

The down time between Christmas and this first day of school always provides an opportunity for me to gather up some of the loose ends in my life. This includes, but is not limited to:
  • decluttering the house
  • straightening and organizing shelves, closets, and cabinets
  • filing away or purging loose papers
  • clearing off the horizontal surfaces of the home (primary the kitchen counters!!)
  • mailing off letters and packages that have been sitting around for a while
  • removing old toys that the children no longer want or need, and setting up space for their new gifts
  • setting up binders for filing the children's new school year papers
  • thinking about my daily schedule and ways to improve it
  • visiting friends I don't see often enough
  • identifying books I want to read, Bible reading and devotional habits I want to improve, and goals I want to be mindful of for my family
I feel pretty good about my efforts on the above bullet list, and I am now fully ready to begin on the new school year. Over the past month, I was lulled into believing that I have time to accomplish certain things, but by the end of this coming week, reality will hit me again and I will realize how much time is running past me in my daily life. But that's okay, because now I can see it coming and will not be surprised when it does. When it happens, I will try this year to exercise more self-discipline and less screen time. I realize that it is the screen time I still allow in my daily life that prevents me from staying on top of other important family and home responsibilities. So, expect to hear from me only on odd days. Even days, I have the day off -- no email and no online (except for Calvert requirements or emergency needs).

And here is a Bible verse that I read this weekend that is my prayer for 2010 for myself and my family, as well as all the believers who I love and care about, including my bloggy friends. I pray that..

you may live a life worthy of the Lord and may please Him in every way: bearing fruit in every good work, growing in the knowledge of God, being strengthened with all power according to his glorious might so that you may have great endurance and patience, and joyfully giving thanks to the Father, who has qualified you to share in the inheritance of the saints in the kingdom of light. COLOSSIANS 1:10-12

p.s. It isn't warm here anymore. If you noticed my sidebar at the time I am writing this, the temperature here is 39 degrees and expecting to head down to 32 degrees overnight. By Tuesday night, it is supposed to get down into the 20s. Brrrr...
This entry was posted on 9:34 PM and is filed under , , , , , , , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

2 comments:

On January 4, 2010 at 2:44 PM , Paula said...

Yes, screen time is such a gnarly challenge...I keep trying to figure out what the appropriate balance is.
I hope you are having a great first day of your new term!

 
On January 5, 2010 at 5:38 PM , Marjie said...

Enjoy 5th grade! We're a bit less than halfway through (lesson 70), and it's a nice, challenging course! As a note, around lesson 100, he has to start a huge research report on a state. It's the first time they use note cards and such. Let us know how you do!