Author: Breezy Point Mom
•7:26 AM
October 16, 2010  7:26 a.m.

Day 19 was Sept. 22

We woke up in Oakley, Kansas.
The temperature was 65 degrees.
The odometer was at 29,535. 
Our altitude was 3,050 feet.

Did I mention this great campground in Oakley?  It is called High Plains Camping and it was pretty nice, very good for campers like us who have limited space in our campers.  We definitely give it a 10.  It had a pool, playground, and mini golf.  It also had a big barn, open 24 hours, that served as a recreation room where we could sit and play board games, cards, or puzzles.  The bath house and laundry room were extremely well kept.  The laundry room was a good place to rest and play cards or watch TV.  They even had a public PC for use by the campers, and I had not had internet access since we left home; so I did get online here to catch up a little bit before the swivel chair I was sitting in accidentally tripped the wall mounted GFCI that was providing power to the computer and shut it down.  Since the tower was locked in a cabinet, and since the campground owner was out of town, I was unable to read or respond to any bloggy comments.  :(  .  I had to call the campground office and leave a message to tell them about my mistake.

After was had breakfast in that neat barn, and drove off down I-70, I have to say that I enjoyed the scenery of this part of the trip, too.  I loved seeing the flat high plains in this area of Kansas.  I had heard folks jokingly say that you could stand at one end of Kansas and see clear across to the other end, and I know what they mean but found it not to be the case.  As we drove east, we started to see more and more trees (gradually) and by the time we got close to Topeka, the land was already beginning to resemble the eastern United States and I sadly realized that there would be no more new and refreshing scenery on this trip.

We skipped lunch and had a hearty Italian dinner in Topeka before heading to our RV Park at Worlds of Fun in Kansas City, Missouri.

We liked spotting these water pumping windmills.

A closer shot taken on the fly.

A wind farm.  I expected to see more of these but there were only one or two we saw in Kansas.

The 24 hour truck repair place was an item of interest at our next "camp" spot.

Sweet Girl is selling pumpkins, hay, and corn stalks.  Any takers?

Wow!  Air hockey! Great way to spend the allowance.
In regular everyday life, we don't believe in overstimulating the children with entertainment.  Likewise on vacation, we try our best not to do so.  So that finding an air hockey table can still be a big deal.
This entry was posted on 7:26 AM and is filed under , , , , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

2 comments:

On October 18, 2010 at 5:15 PM , Marjie said...

I firmly believe that high intensity entertainment, such as video games, stunt our children's imagination. Better to play board games and find an air hockey table. BTW, I bought my little boys a small one, and they love it. Sometimes they forget it for a few weeks, then are delighted when they go back to it.

 
On October 19, 2010 at 11:19 PM , Anonymous said...

Looks like fun! We enjoy air hockey too.