Author: Breezy Point Mom
•9:10 PM
Continuing my series from Marva Dawn's book Is It A Lost Cause?

Question #4: Are there some people in your congregation that you don't like?

Do we seek out a community where we will feel cozy and comfortable, where we think we won't have any social frictions because everybody is so like-minded?

Do we simply plan to leave a church to find a more compatible one when conflicts arise?

If so, how will we learn to love those who are not like ourselves? Wouldn't it be great if our children could observe us actively loving others in whom we don't delight?

I was thinking about this today, for even though we have settled on a church to attend for now, there are some things about it that don't enchant me. I was fretting a bit because it doesn't seem people are all that friendly. We are relative newcomers, but I need to cut these folks a break. This church is unique in that every Sunday there are a fair amount of "tourist" attenders: people who stop by and worship here when they are on vacation in the area, people who just want to hear the pastor, who is nationally known, preach. So these members are used to seeing a fair number of unfamiliar faces --- Every. Single. Sunday. Most of whom will not be back. So it is no wonder that they don't all extend themselves to us.

But as I was meditating on that today, I had to ask myself: why should everything about a church enchant me? Should I not be content that the church teaches the truth, that it has God-centered worship, that it is stable and growing, that it is a good steward of its resources, that it offers educational, fellowship, and service opportunities for our family? Since when does a church have to be custom-designed to suit me?

Wouldn't it be great if I just learned to accept a church with its imperfections, even as I hope that I will be accepted?
This entry was posted on 9:10 PM and is filed under , , , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

0 comments: