Author: Breezy Point Mom
•10:02 PM
I am pleased and proud to announce that Little Son was the First Place Winner of the violin solo scholarship competition of a local music association in our state. He was just thrilled, and so were we. He wanted to win this very badly, mainly because there was a money prize. Okay, so it was a ribbon and $25, but that is a very huge sum of money in Little Son's world.

There were four contestants in his division, and we were so pleased with his performance. His 1/2 size violin just sang out beautifully throughout the small sanctuary of a local church that hosted the competition. It was a difficult piece with a lot of vibrato and a distinct mood, and he captured it: it was by far the best we have ever heard him play in public.

We were just proud as could be today, and we celebrated with a big dinner at a local Italian restaurant. We were joking around at the dinner table regarding the possible factors that may have contributed to his success, but he summed it up best when he said "I knew when I was up there that God was helping me." It was a great opportunity to talk about giving all the glory to the Lord at times like these. That's what it's all about, after all.

Days like these really help me, too, because violin is such a difficult road sometimes. Those of you out there who are violin parents know what I mean. This has been very encouraging to both us parents.

By the way, Self-Reliant Man finished the job of changing out the alternator yesterday, and it was more difficult than one would expect on account of the design and layout of our vehicle's engine compartment. But he did it, and I am proud of him, too. Unfortunately, he is not feeling well today. At first, he thought it was muscle aches due to the physical strain of the repair work, but now I am afraid he might have flu or a bad cold. Please keep him in prayer.
|
This entry was posted on 10:02 PM and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

6 comments:

On March 2, 2009 at 11:30 AM , Sandy said...

If he knew God was helping him, I'd say he was a winner before he even started playing. Congratulations to all of you, what great things are happening in your family.

 
On March 2, 2009 at 12:34 PM , Chocolateer said...

Congrats to your son!!! That's awesome :) Though, I have to say the best part is his comment during dinner. That would be worth more than a ribbon and a cash prize any day :)

 
On March 3, 2009 at 6:21 AM , TLP Family Acres said...

I now feel better that I have caught up on my Mighty Oaks Country School reading. Great stuff. I enjoy every insight, and I am always inspired in some way or another. Today I conteplate in my own life, the limiting of "screen time" not only for me buy my emerging teenagers. Looking forward to our visit. Congratulations to our favorite young violinist in his worthy accomplishment. Better not read this till Wednesday...right?? lol

 
On March 3, 2009 at 2:01 PM , Marjie said...

I remember how proud my daughter was when she won honorable mention at a 4H "fashion review". She won a ribbon and cup. It's such a thrill for them to win something on their own. I am so proud for you and joyous for your son.

How are your daughter's eyes?

 
On March 3, 2009 at 3:50 PM , Lisa said...

Congrats to your Little Son! It shows that the investment in violin is worth it, as he can glorify God through music.

 
On March 3, 2009 at 5:40 PM , Paula said...

Congratulations on the competition! That's fantastic! I wonder if my kids will ever be that motivated?
I'm looking for a 1/4 size violin for Lily to grow into--she doesn't need it yet but I'm giving myself time to find something nice used. Do you have any suggestions?