Author: Breezy Point Mom
•7:03 AM
Like most of my readers, I have been very busy this past week, and haven't had time to write blog posts. It isn't that there isn't anything bloggable in my life, it is just that some of it is too complicated to write out quickly. I am in the middle of writing a longer post about a more complex subject, but that might not be posted for a while yet. But I do have a current short anecdote about a conversation I had with Little Son yesterday while his sister listened in.

Our church asked our family to light the Advent wreath for the fourth Sunday in Advent. This will be our first time doing this in the six Advents we have been attending this church. So yesterday, I reviewed the passage of scripture that our family is to read, and practiced it with the children. It is from Luke 1:26-35. Basically it is the story of the Annunciation, when the angel Gabriel appeared to a young virgin named Mary and announced that she would give birth to a son.

So, I could see the question coming before it did, and both children were present at the time.

LITTLE SON: What is a virgin?

MOMMY: A virgin is, well, you know how animals and insects have to mate to have a baby? Well a virgin is someone who never mated.

LITTLE SON: Then I'm a virgin, too.

MOMMY: That's right, you are. And the fact that Jesus was born this way is another amazing miracle about him, another way he was completely different, because Mary had never mated.

LITTLE SON: You mean, Mary and Joseph never mated?

MOMMY: Well, sure they did, later on, when Jesus had younger brothers and sisters, but at the time Jesus was coming, they hadn't. Remember, at that time, Mary was just engaged to Joseph. They weren't even married yet. So this is just one more amazing miraculous thing about Jesus; the way he was born. Different from everybody else.

LITTLE SON: Well I believe that miracle is true.

MOMMY: Good for you!

And then I was off the hook. It was that quick and simple. I didn't bat an eyelash. Whew! That was easy enough. Until next time, that is....

You see, Little Son and Baby Girl have been learning about the Birds and the Bees by, ...well, ....studying birds and bees. Little Son has been reading books about creatures for a couple of years, and has "explained" all this to me several times. They have sort of discovered at least some things about the facts of life through the "back door" of nature study, as it were.

So Mommy continues to try to keep one step ahead...
|
This entry was posted on 7:03 AM and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

1 comments:

On December 17, 2008 at 10:32 AM , Letitia said...

You did great! I haven't had the question from my younger ones yet. Actually, I don't think my older ones ever asked. They just got old enough that they figured it out, I guess. They certainly weren't exposed to it anywhere.