Author: Breezy Point Mom
•11:51 AM
November 5, 2010 11:51 a.m.

I am happy and proud to announce that yesterday, Sweet Girl completed her Second Grade course of Calvert School.  One way we celebrated was to go out to lunch at a local fast food restaurant of her choice.  The other way we are celebrating is to exhibit all of her art work from Second Grade on the hallway wall, and inviting friends over to see it.

Sweet Girl's Second Grade Art Exhibit
 We completed the year by finishing test lesson 160, and then put it into the mail for her teacher to see.  Sweet Girl also included a thank you and good bye letter to her teacher, and some photos of herself and Chips.  This ATS teacher has been very thorough and very detail-oriented, and provided the challenge that Sweet Girl needed this year.  The Lord has gifted our daughter with a love for writing and literature; Calvert provides plenty of practice with both, and she rose to the task quite well.  Her Calvert teacher had much to say about her compositions and her read-aloud skills this year (Calvert ATS teachers listen to recorded read-aloud messages as part of every test).  We are also blessed because Sweet Girl enjoys, and does well with, mathematics.  I don't suppose it is often that a student enjoys and thrives in both hemispheres: verbal and mathematical, but Sweet Girl seems to.

Having said all that, I am looking ahead to Calvert's Third Grade course, and there will definitely be new challenges there for our daughter.  For me, it takes much physical and spiritual energy to keep an attitude of hard work and diligence alive in our home.  That goes for all of us, and I can see that the upcoming year will demand a lot from us.  I have rearranged all the books Sweet Girl will need for Third Grade, and she is very excited to look through them today.  Although there is excitement at the thought of beginning a new grade, there is also a tinge of sadness within me.  I no longer have a second grader.  Now she is in Third Grade.  That seems so much older to me.  Second Grade is a little girl in my mind, Third Grade is not so little.

Sweet Girls' Third Grade Calvert books . . . .

. . . .all organized and read to go next week!


So, today there is a lull in my workload because Sweet Girl has a day off.  That's why I had time to blog today!!  Chips still has sixteen lesson days remaining this year, and beginning next week, I will be easing our daughter into a few Third Grade lessons to keep her occupied until Chips is finished up, around the first week of December.  She really is happier when she has lessons to do, as long as her brother is doing lessons anyway.

Then it will be "party time" around here until after the New Year rings in.  Another reason why Christmas is the "most wonderful time of the year" at Breezy Point.
This entry was posted on 11:51 AM and is filed under , , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

4 comments:

On November 8, 2010 at 12:16 PM , Tara said...

Good going Sweet girl!!! you must feel like a big girl now big 3rd grade WOW!!!.
Enjoy 3rd!!

 
On November 8, 2010 at 10:41 PM , Paula said...

Congratulations to Sweet Girl!
By the way, that time line looks very familiar--I think it's the same one I just pulled off my wall in preparation for the move.

 
On November 9, 2010 at 4:19 PM , Marjie said...

I too feel bittersweet pangs with the end of each school year. Do try the ATS by email service next year; I was amazed at how fast it was! I really like the idea that if I've mucked anything up with my little guy, I can get back to it before we're too far into the next set of lessons.

And third grade is an exciting year, as well as a transition. There is so much great reading to be done, and both of my boys loved Smiling Hill Farm, but it was kind of sad to be done with reading books and into novels! My youngest compared Anne of Green Gables to Smiling Hill Farm just yesterday, in that one of the main characters loved venturing away, but was happiest being home. I was so pleased that his thought process brought the two books together. I'll be interested to see if your son likes Anne, as my boys did (it starts in lesson 24 of 6th grade).

 
On November 9, 2010 at 4:44 PM , Linda said...

That's an impressive lot of art work. Sweet Girl must feel very satisfied with her hard work when she sees it all collected together.