Author: Breezy Point Mom
•5:00 PM
November 19, 2010 5:00 p.m.

We are nearing the end of our academic year.  Chips has six more days of Fifth Grade and we will be done until January.  I have to admit, I am so ready for it to end.

It has been a year of much learning, but it has been long.  We have worked really hard in 2010.  I have spent so much time on academics, leaving very little time for much else.  I do love Calvert, but it has been very time consuming this year.

Anybody who has read my blog for awhile has surely noticed a dearth of posts this year.  It couldn’t be helped.  I have had very little spare time.  But….when I look back over this past year, I am sure of a few things. 
  • I am sure that there have been very solid academics accomplished in our home. 
  • I am sure that our kids have learned much in our scripture and catechism studies.
  • I am sure that they have been diligent in their music practice. 
  • I am sure that they (and my husband and I) had a great time traveling out West this year. 

Don’t get me wrong; I am thankful for those things.

But when I look around, I am dismayed at all the other things that have gone undone.  I have often looked around the house in frustration over its state of disarray.   I have noticed the stacks of papers piling up on my desk, begging for a little attention (and/or a circular file).  I have seen the weeds in the yard, many more than I could ever pull.  I have seen the piles of books going unread.  I have seen the emails I have not replied to and the stacks of unfolded laundry.  I have bought ingredients to make meals for a lady with cancer, but it has been two weeks and I haven’t been able to get to it.

At times like this, it is impossible for me to not get on a guilt trip.  I see other mothers who have more children than I do, who homeschool them, and who seem to be always serving at church, so much more than I do.  I see other homeschool mothers who are baking more, crafting more, gardening more, reading more, blogging more, socializing more, and I wonder how they can do it all.  Either I am very, very, very inefficient, or surely they are not doing the academics that I am doing (?)    I do not mean to say this in a prideful way, although it probably sounds like I am.  I am just mystified, I guess.  Either I lack the energy, the brainpower, the computer / technological/ digital prowess, the help of extended family, or something else, because by the time I get done with all my have-tos, I have scant pockets of time left to do anything else.  My actual reading of printed material (not blogs and websites) has consisted of about two books for me this year, some read-alouds for the family (although I admit I haven’t even had much time for these), and reading the Calvert Fifth Grade reading books. 

Which leads me to ask a question.  I don’t know what other Calvert moms are doing about literature, but I find that if I don’t actually read the books that Chips is reading for his lessons, then I cannot fully draw out his thoughts and get proper answers from him for the discussion questions.  The answer key provides answers, but I am not equipped to evaluate the answers he does give unless I have actually read the chapters myself.  Does that make sense?  The same thing for American History.  It isn’t always easy for me to keep up with the reading, either.  I am often still trying to read the chapters of the day after dinner.

Another thing is, I try hard to uphold a high standard, not accepting any written work unless I feel it is up to par.  I have even had to reject two or three compositions this year that I felt were not Fifth Grade work (or a reasonable effort).  This is aside from the work that we send in to the ATS teacher.  If we have an outside activity in the afternoon, like chorus, or violin, then we return just in time for me to prepare dinner, and I don’t wrap up the school day until 7 or 8 in the evening (from checking work, evaluating work, having Chips correct and return the work, and in most cases having to go through a second iteration of this before accepting it and calling it quits for the day).   So, there have been days when I have felt resentful – feeling that I am “doing homework in the evening” like a public school  mom, but without having the benefit of the free time in the early part of the day – because I am teaching then, too.  Just being honest, here. 

So, I know there is a greater need for balance in my life right now.  January brings 3rd and 6th grade, and I don’t know if things will become better, or worse.  I know my younger student will still require a lot of supervision and one on one time.  But what about my 6th grader?  Will he get more independent of me this year?  Here’s hoping.  Any feedback I can get from other Calvert Moms would be most appreciated.

Anyway, six more lessons days.  Six more.  Then we will be free until January 4th.  Hopefully it will be a time of refreshment and recharging, as well as a time to regroup and think about what will work for us in 2011.
This entry was posted on 5:00 PM and is filed under , , , , , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

5 comments:

On November 19, 2010 at 9:48 PM , Tara said...

you just asked all the question that run through my head. We have not schooled with books in a couple of days at the moment. Do to orchestra rectials and home improvement jobs. Now cleaning and preparing for Thanksgiving.
Some of my friends have older children that work with the younger and others have become more unschooling types. Using outside activities as classes.
I don't use calvert so I have flexability with our work.

 
On November 20, 2010 at 10:15 AM , Liz Tolsma said...

I had the same thing happen as you when I was homeschooling - I never had time for anything else. No reading, no cleaning, no laundry folding, no nothing. (grammar mistake on purpose ;) And yes, I found things got harder the older the kids got, not easier. I had to read and STUDY especially science so I could teach it and help with questions. That took time. So did grading papers. It's part of the job. Realize that you're working full time and don't be too hard on yourself. Pretty soon they'll be gone and you'll have all kinds of time to read and clean. Enjoy your break!

 
On November 20, 2010 at 4:53 PM , Paula said...

I think what you are describing is the modern dilemma--our lives are so full, so brimming with possibilities and opportunities--that whatever we choose to spend our time doing we are at the same time choosing not to do five, or ten, or twenty other worthwhile things (not to mention all the not-worth-while ones we sometimes do anyway!) It really is impossible to "do it all"--and we each have to choose for our current circumstances and season what we will do and what we will neglect, understanding that some of what we neglect is just as valuable as what we choose to do, but we can;t do it all.
Looking at your list of what you know has been accomplished this year, I think you are choosing the priorities that matter most to your family in this season--school and music, religious education, and family adventures. There will be other seasons for other things.

 
On November 22, 2010 at 2:46 AM , Linda said...

This next stage will pass quite quickly and your chidren will become more independent learners.
Meantime, have you thought of having a live-in au pair? We had 9 au pairs when my children were aged between 5 and 13 - I work full-time outside the home. They receive pocket money and board and lodging plus sharing in family life, and in return to housework and help with childcare, and depending on their native language your children get help with the foreign language they're learning. We had several au pairs from a Christian agency in Germany, and they were lovely girls. We are still in touch with many of them, some of whom are now married with families of their own.

 
On November 22, 2010 at 6:44 AM , Breezy Point Mom said...

I want to thank all of you who took time to comment and encourage me about this post. @Tara, I am amazed that you can drive all the way to orchestra; I know taking multiple long trips like that must be a huge impact on your week. @Liz You are right, they will be gone and I'll have too much time then. I've got to remember it is a full time job; @Paula My situation sounds pretty good the way you describe it. Thanks. My post was truly the result of a very TIRED mom on Friday; @Linda - I am looking forward to them becoming more independent learners. After all, that is one of my homeschooling goals. Au pairs are huge expenses here - some $350-400 a week, and I'd have to quit homeschooling, violin, and go to work full time to afford one. I think my problem these days might be hormones (or lack of hormones) typical of ladies my age - LOL! But that's for another post!