Author: Breezy Point Mom
•9:19 PM
October 3, 2009 9:41 p.m.

Well, as of this evening, we have two sick children in the house. Little Son just finished up his third day with a fever and cough. Little Son never gets a fever. I can't remember the last time he had one. Baby Girl just began to have a fever this afternoon, and she has been coughing since yesterday, too. I took Little Son to the pediatrician on Thursday and they are following the CDC guidelines, which means not to dispense any antivirals to anybody who is not considered "high risk", or hospitalized. I was advised that he has the flu-like bug that is "going around the community". The trouble is, we haven't been "around the community"; rather we have been traveling through five states in the Southeast where H1N1 is widespread, eating in restaurants (including buffets), visiting restrooms, museums, a theme park, etc. So you can guess what my conclusion is about my kids' illness right now. I don't think any doctor will actually tell you that in all likelihood you have H1N1, because they aren't going to write a script for an antiviral anyway. Therefore, it will merely be referred to as the flu-like bug that is "going around the community". That way, you will still come back and get the vaccine next month (even though you won't need it anymore but you won't have any way of knowing that).

I checked out the CDC website, and a high percentage of flu-like persons who are tested are coming up H1N1. Specifically, if you have been told you have "type A" flu, it turns out that 99% of type A is H1N1. A friend of mine has a neighbor who tested "type A", right after passing it on to her family. The flu went through 5 members of her family about a week or two ago. So I know it is definitely around.

So that's where we are right now. As for me, I plan to hit the supermarket tomorrow morning and stock up on food for a week, before I get sick, too. Self-Reliant Man is doing okay, except he said something about feeling some mild cold symptoms. I hope things turn out better than I expect right now! I am thankful that we are at least not considered in the high-risk category, anyway.
This entry was posted on 9:19 PM and is filed under , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

2 comments:

On October 5, 2009 at 8:54 AM , A Joyful Chaos said...

I hope evry one will be feeling well again real soon!

 
On October 5, 2009 at 11:34 AM , Tara said...

Prayers for you and your family. I heard the CDC is talking changing the antiviral drug rule. I thought they had already.