Author: Breezy Point Mom
•7:52 PM
CBS Sunday morning featured homeschooling this weekend.

In many ways, I appreciated the coverage because at least it didn't portray all homeschoolers as crackpots. Many positive statistics about homeschoolers were cited, and if I were an average person watching this program, I would have found the idea of homeschooling attractive after watching this segment.

However... (and there is always a "however" when discussing media coverage of anything) the coverage is still misguided when it comes to the "S" word (uh, "Socialization" for those non-homeschooling readers of my blog), leaving the question as to whether homeschoolers are properly, or adequately, socialized as largely unanswered in the video clip. Also, there was an implication that public schools are the definitive suppliers of all the socialization our children need. They never ask the questions: how much socialization is too much? isn't there such as thing as poor socialization? or negative socialization? Is all the socialization provided by schools a good thing?

Another criticism I have is that some of the discussion fed into the stereotype of Christians who homeschool as "Bible thumping fanatics". Not exactly a complimentary way of describing many of us, was it?

I enjoyed the coverage about our curriculum of choice, Calvert School.

Overall, I think the segment was a positive portrayal of homeschooling. I feel not only does homeschooling facilitate a better education for our kids, but it has even greater potential for families of color in our country, especially for those whose kids would least benefit from a public school experience. I am glad that an African American family was portrayed here. I think homeschooling holds incredible promise for young people like Tau, who was profiled in this video, and I hope that more minority families will be inspired to embark on a homeschooling journey.
|
This entry was posted on 7:52 PM and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

2 comments:

On September 16, 2008 at 2:50 PM , Linda said...

I enjoyed the story and had to chuckle a bit at the "Socialization" concern. Especially regarding "socialization in the high school setting." I wonder if that gentleman making that comment has actually walked through a high school recently? Or been closely involved with a teenager in high school. The results that I am seeing from socialization in high schools is exactly why I've chosen to homeschool. Take care!!

 
On September 16, 2008 at 3:17 PM , Marjie said...

I'm sure that instead of calling me a "Bible Thumper", I'd just be called a lunatic. Guilty as charged. But I know best, and I don't see why someone outside the educational establishment wouldn't be better qualified than someone "on the inside" to critique said establishment.

Education is way too much "taxation without representation", and one SIL who was on a school board agreed with me, and quit!