Author: Breezy Point Mom
•10:34 PM

July 4, 2011  10:34 p.m.

Let me begin by saying that it was a full day here. 

I began it by taking down the Christmas wreath; this has become a July tradition of mine in the past two years here.  I guess that means that Summer has truly set in at Breezy Point.

DSCN3353

We followed that up by putting out our beautiful flag.

DSCN3361

After Self-Reliant Man made us a breakfast of Belgian waffles, we packed folding chairs and took off to see our community’s Fourth of July Parade.  I am sorry, I forgot my camera for this parade, but let it be known that there were several “warbird” flyovers, marchers, decorated horses, tractors, and floats that truly brought home to us afresh the fact that we do, indeed, live in the rural South. 

One new addition I couldn’t help noticing was a small contingent of TSA marchers in formal, military-style uniform, carrying a U.S. flag and the Homeland Security flag as well.  I don’t really know what to say about this, except that they didn’t receive any more applause than the Sons of the Confederacy had a moment earlier.  Just a reminder of the times we are living in, but I have to say, a little creepy.

But other than that, this part of the day had its feel- good moments.

After that, we drove to a salad buffet restaurant, had a healthy and complete lunch, and then went to a budget movie theatre to see Rio.  That movie was entertaining, made me laugh out loud several times, and made me want to make a trip some day to Rio de Janeiro.  Oh, and the music was good, too.  (Chips perked up when he heard The Girl from Ipanema, a song that the orchestra just played at camp last week).

Afterwards, we stopped at the pet store for supplies, returned home, did some simple yard tasks, and I swam eleven laps in our pool.  Also had some watermelon.  We thought about playing a family game of croquet, but couldn’t fit it in before dark.

Finally, we lit some fireworks.  It truly was a complete Fourth of July.  Except…

…. I was really hoping that today would bring the verdict in a certain highly publicized murder trial that is going on near us, a trial which has interested me a great deal.  In fact, last week our orchestra camp was located literally down the street from the courthouse where the trial has been taking place.

courthouse

But unfortunately, this jury would not be liberated from their task on this Independence Day.  I feel sorry for the jury, and I certainly hope that they exercise wisdom in their deliberations, and that  justice is served before long.

|
This entry was posted on 10:34 PM and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

2 comments:

On July 5, 2011 at 4:28 PM , Linda said...

You've lost me. What's 'TSA'?
Sounds like you had a lovely family day. Must be great to have a national day that everyone celebrates.

 
On July 5, 2011 at 4:29 PM , Marjie said...

Happy Belated Independence Day! Glad you had a nice day. We spend a quiet day, too, giving thanks for our freedoms. I had at least one ancestor who fought in the Revolution, so I always reflect on that. Fireworks completed our day, too!