Author: Breezy Point Mom
•4:10 PM

July 23, 2011 4:10 p.m.

Okay, so Self-Reliant Man had the central air conditioner working by about 10 this morning.  Didn’t cost us a cent, either.  Not even a replacement capacitor.  Try getting results like that after calling the A/C Man.   It would probably be $75 just for The Man to drive up to your house. 

I told him he had a free day and he could sit in his chair and wait for something else to break. 

At lunch time, he wanted to take the van out for a drive, so we all joined him, and that’s when the passenger window broke wide open.  We also discovered the satellite radio had no signal anymore.

Fast forward to four o’clock in the afternoon.  The window is completely repaired.  Self-Reliant Man took the door apart and jerry-rigged the repair just as he had done a year or so ago on the driver’s side door.  Actually it is better than a jerry-rig.  His fix is stronger than the original factory contraption was.  Works great now.

We also put a replacement satellite antenna on order for $11.

Self-Reliant Man is now finally sitting in the chair and everything works!

Just another Saturday at Breezy Point.

p.s.  I am so proud of Self-Reliant Man for being able to save us so much money.  I don’t know what I would do without him.  I’d have a repair person here for something every week.

|
This entry was posted on 4:10 PM and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

5 comments:

On July 25, 2011 at 11:49 AM , Fatcat said...

Everything keeps breaking at our house and my Mr. Fixit just can't keep up with it all. Can you all come for a visit? And bring tools? The kids and you and I can talk and play while our husbands fix everything. :-P

 
On July 26, 2011 at 10:09 AM , Mrs. Random said...

That's awesome!

You know, what always amazes me when the Jedi tackles a problem or a fix like that is just *how* does he even know where to start? It just blows me away the way these men can look at something they've never worked on before, and figure out what's wrong with it and how to fix it.

 
On July 26, 2011 at 12:59 PM , Anonymous said...

I'm jealous :-)
My husband isn't much of a handyman--but he's great at playing with the kids, so I won't complain.

--Sarah

 
On July 26, 2011 at 8:32 PM , Marjie said...

I have my son Dan for all of these things. Otherwise I'd have to figure them out myself. I've had window issues, and lifters are such cheap things it's incredible.

Our plant manager in Knoxville just replaced our central air compressor, and is working on charging it with propane! It looks like it will even work. Amazing what a clever guy can do, isn't it?

 
On August 1, 2011 at 4:28 PM , Linda said...

They're the greatest asset, aren't they, these practical men. We had a leak which flooded the under sink area in our kitchen. Because he was totally taken up with work at that point my husband called a plumber, who didn't sort the leak but diagnosed that we needed a new tap, the cheapest of which would cost £160. That offended my husband's Scottish sense of thrift, and he found the leak and ordered a replacement part for the existing tap, at a cost of £10.

Self-Reliant Man sounds as if he has a very broad spectrum of expertise!