Author: Breezy Point Mom
•4:51 PM
That's what I call this annual pilgrimage to a certain city within our state for musical competitions. Truly, Little Son did not go home empty-handed, thanks to his involvement with a piano chamber trio. As there were 1400 participants this weekend, I would guess on average that 1 in 10 took home a trophy. Anyway, I have to say that the experience continues to be an intense, exhausting, grueling, emotional, and often discouraging one (for most kids and their families). At present, we do not know all the results but we do know that Little Son's chamber trio emerged as the winner in their category. Little Son did not place at all in his solo competition, although he played his piece flawlessly and all the other participants were about 4 or more years older than he was (one "boy" sported a mustache). As for the concerto competition, we do not yet know the results, but we would be extremely surprised if our son placed, because there were many incredible violinists in that competition, 23 participants overall. Nevertheless, he did play his piece with excellence. He really can pull it together when he needs to.
Here are the children after the award ceremony holding up the trophy.

And Violin Mom discovered that she simply just cannot sleep in a hotel bed anymore. I had a miserable long night, and that didn't help matters. I am much better off sleeping in the camper van!

When these competitions are over, then parental wisdom needs to kick into high gear, as we discuss with Little Son the value of these types of experiences, how much having a specific interim goal enables him to improve his skills, and what the Lord is teaching him through these experiences. One thing he did keep in mind was that before he began to perform each piece, he reminded himself that the purpose of the performance was to glorify God. He reminded me afterward that this was on his mind.

He certainly learned what is important this weekend.
|
This entry was posted on 4:51 PM and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

3 comments:

On May 3, 2009 at 7:22 PM , Marjie said...

I do not believe in the relatively new trend of making sure everyone gets a prize. Sorry, but Donald Trump is doing a whole lot better than me, and I just can't swing the payment book for my own personal jet. We were involved in a large rental organization, and people would actually gripe because lower-middle class apartments didn't sport the same ameneties as upper class housing. Everyone thinks they're entitled to everything they want, including winning every competition, and the world just doesn't work that way. If your son learns that he's done an outstanding job, but there are simply some people out there who are better than he for any of a number of reasons, including being old enough to sport a moustache, then he's learning valuable lessons in life. You should be very proud of him, and of yourself for the enormous effort you expend to help him learn these lessons, which so many never get!

 
On May 4, 2009 at 11:08 PM , Letitia said...

I feel your pain. : ) My older girls participated in dance competitions for several years, and I am so thankful they didn't want to continue the competitions. The dance definitely continued....and still does. In fact, hopefully tomorrow, I'll be posting the latest. : )
Hope you can get some rest!

 
On May 5, 2009 at 11:37 PM , 2Thinks said...

I love your photos of those cute kiddos. I can't sleep in hotel beds either- kills my back. Hey, I'm homeschool mom to a cellist,so I know what you're talking about here. Though my little guy is now 22 years old, music and youth ministry major (done)! I envy the fact that you live on 5 acres, I always wanted that. Thanks for being my fourth follower (I'm one of my own followers, so it'll look like I have more :)- I know, I'm a dork. Your post definately made my day.