Author: Breezy Point Mom
•7:30 AM
This week's theme for Homeschool Memoirs is:

The time will be changing again. I think on Sunday but not sure. Anyhow this is our 10th Homeschool Memoirs so this week it’s going to be about 10 timely facts about you! Write 10 interesting, crazy, weird, fun facts about you! Include facts about you as a woman, a wife, a mommy, a homeschooler, a homekeeper, a taxi-driver, a cook, etc . I only put 10 facts because I didn’t want to overwhelm you, but you’re welcome to do more!

Okay. Here goes.

Number One I spent over two thirds of my life in the great state of New Jersey before moving to Florida after getting married; although I have gotten used to the climate here, I still do miss the four seasons, very much, and mourn their absence even as the weather gets cooler and more pleasant here in FLA in October. But I lived in a lovely community in New Jersey, where the New York City skyline could easily be seen from the higher ridges in my 4 square mile town. I still keep in touch with some of my friends from there, although many have moved to different states since.

Number Two Adoption runs in our family. My brothers and I were adopted, and so are our children. Get this: My older brother was adopted on October 25 when my mother was 37 years old. Our Little Son was adopted on October 21 when I was 37 years old.

I was adopted by my parents on August 9 when my mother was 40 years old. Our Baby Girl was adopted on August 6 when I was 40 years old. Neat, huh?

Number Three My happiest childhood memories (when I was 6-8years old) were two-week long vacations in the Adirondack Mountains at a place called Hemlock Hall. Here, we stayed in rustic furnished cabins, with electric heaters and fireplaces that were actually needed at night in August. There was no TV, there was no phone. We ate with everyone else at a common table in the lodge - breakfast and supper every day. These happy days have helped form my passions today. I still long for a place like that was, and to this day, I love the mountains.

Number Four I once wanted to go to college in Canada. I had studied French for six years, with great interest in excelling, and wrote my college admissions essay in French. I was excited to be admitted to McGill University in Montreal, but my excitement turned to dismay when we discovered there would be no financial assistance for me to study there. It wasn't God's plan for me. Instead, I received a 4 year scholarship to study Electrical Engineering at L*f*yette College in Pennsylvania. That, too, is an amazing story of God's provision in my life.

Number Five I was once a disk jockey for my college radio station. My format differed from semester to semester, from Classic Rock to Classical, from Pop to Contemporary Christian Music. Without going into too much detail, one could almost tell the condition of my spiritual life from the contents of my radio show!

Number Six Before I became a mom, I once was an electrical engineer. My engineering career spanned about 15 years. Two of those years, I worked at K*nnedy Sp*ce C*nter in facilities engineering there. That job was an eye-opening experience for me. I had the privilege of experiencing shuttle launches and landings from pretty close up. The words "awesome" and "tear-jerking" do not adequately convey that experience. I can't imagine the Glory of God compared to that.

Number Seven I worked for 4 years as a Senior Electrical Engineer at W*lt D*sney W*rld. This was quite a stimulating job, with much responsibility. There were a few times when I had to work nights for a week or two straight. My office was 500 yards behind C*nderella's C*stle. As such, I spent most of the big "Y2K" night (remember that hoax?) inside a high voltage substation. Millions of people were celebrating the new millenium on D*sney property, while folks like me were confined to a substation. I often wonder what I realistically could have done to "save the world" if it had all come crashing down that night. The "Y2K" experience has profoundly affected my worldview, and the amount of credence I give the mainstream media about anything anymore.

Number Eight My DH and I become parents for the first time inside an orphanage in Ho Ch* Minh city, Viet Nam, when Little Son, then 6 months old, was placed into our arms. We spent two incredible weeks in an apartment there until the process for securing his travel visa and completing his adoption could be completed. How do I put words to that experience?

Number Nine We met Baby Girl in our local airport. I was fortunate enough to be able to capture that experience on video. Once again, there is simply no way for me to put words to that precious experience!

Number Ten One of my dreams is to drive around the continent and see all the sights. This is to include all our national parks. I also want to see Aurora Borealis some day. I know this is difficult to "schedule", so it would truly have to be the grace of God to allow me this treat.

Okay - I will quit at ten things. I am looking forward to reading everybody's post on this topic!

|
This entry was posted on 7:30 AM and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

5 comments:

On October 23, 2008 at 11:19 AM , Marjie said...

Thanks for telling us about yourself. People always look at us lady engineers a little funny (I'm a mechanical engineer), don't they? I'm in awe of our best friend's son's fiancee - she just got her masters in mechanical engineering, and she fixes her own car! I understand you missing the seasons. We felt the same when we lived in Knoxville for a few years.

 
On October 23, 2008 at 1:06 PM , Lois O'Brien said...

Wow--you've had some pretty exciting experiences!

Lois

 
On October 23, 2008 at 1:19 PM , TLP Family Acres said...

Electrical engineer, french, working Y2K near "the' castle, and my favorite the disc jocky! You have quite a colorful backround, making you so especially unique! Loved reading about all of it. Thanks for sharing.

 
On October 24, 2008 at 3:28 PM , Berry Patch said...

So nice to "meet" you through this meme. Your children are beautiful & you have had some very interesting jobs! My hubby is a civil engineer. I hope to adopt children some day to add to our family of three boys.

 
On October 26, 2008 at 12:31 AM , Michelle said...

Oh, I really enjoyed visiting your blog & reading your posts.
We have some fun family trivia in our family, also.
One is, Our oldest son was born on Oct. 28; 3yrs after my niece who was also born Oct. 28. And older son is exactly 11yrs & 11months older than our youngest son who was born Sept. 28. My Mother's B.D. is August 28 and my hubby's brother was born Dec. 28.
I was born & raised in Fl. We moved away, after we were married 20yrs ago. Yes, I am one of the few Fl. natives left. Yes, I was living in Fl. when I looked for citrus canker. I sure miss all those citrus trees that were wiped out. Not by canker, really, but by cold.
I love your header. When I saw the picture so many good memories came back I wanted to cry. Oh, I haven't seen Spanish moss in 20yrs.
I was raised in Crescent City, which is near Palatka. My family is still in Fl. Living in Crescent City, Dunnellon, Homasassa & satsuma.
Blessings,
Michelle