Author: Breezy Point Mom
•7:57 AM

pala

August 18, 2011 7:57 a.m.

I cannot remember which blogger buddy inspired me a few weeks ago, but since then I have been seeking to earn the Presidential Active Lifestyle Award.  I cannot believe I am actually doing this in the doggiest dog days of Florida summer, but I am.

Now mind you, I haven’t been able to get my children interested in doing this, but maybe that is because the requirements are doubled for children (a solid hour of physical activity a day, 5 days a week, for 6 weeks sounded a bit much for them).

Anyway, all I have to do is 30 minutes of physical activity per day, for at least 5 days a week, for at least 6 out of the next 8 weeks. 

I chose 30 minutes of aerobic walking/jogging each morning.  I cover four laps around the perimeter of my property, for a total of 1.5 miles.  In addition, I swim laps around my 24’ diameter round aboveground pool – each time I do this I swim for 15 minutes continuously, covering about 16 laps. 

I don’t have to belong to a gym, and I don’t have to leave my property.  For now, it is working out very well.  Plus, I do notice an improvement in my energy level and sense of well-being, especially on the days I do the exercise.  I am already nearly 3 weeks into the program. 

For more information on the Presidential Active Lifestyle Award, check this website.

|
This entry was posted on 7:57 AM and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

5 comments:

On August 18, 2011 at 1:54 PM , Paula said...

This sounds really interested. I bet my oldest would like to do it with me, she just ran her first 1 mile race last weekend--I ran with her and we didn't run fast but we ran the whole way, I ways sooo proud of her!

 
On August 18, 2011 at 5:13 PM , Marjie said...

Wow! Good for you! Actually, the kids probably are active for an hour a day, since you and I think alike - no electronic entertainment equals more active children. But I'm proud that you've undertaken this endeavor for yourself. And it's a good example for the kids, too.

 
On August 18, 2011 at 8:32 PM , Liz Tolsma said...

Good for you! This is just what I need, especially once I get home from vacation! I think I'm going to challenge myself with this. Thanks!

 
On August 20, 2011 at 2:45 AM , Linda said...

I'm impressed by you exercising in your summer heat. We wilt if we exercise in temperatures above 20 degrees. Daughter and I are doing a Couch to 5K running programme. However we've got rather stuck on week 6 (for about a year!) because something always crops up to disrupt our progress and then we go back a week and so on. At the moment I'm recovering from an Achilles tendon strain, so no running for a fortnight :(

 
On September 6, 2011 at 8:59 AM , Heather the Mama Duk said...

Neat! I may have to do that. Of course I'm already exercising 20 minutes each morning so it would be cheating a little bit.