Author: Breezy Point Mom
•4:30 PM

December 10, 2010 4:30 p.m.

We don’t call them “chores”, here.  We call them “responsibilities”.  “Chores” conjures up ideas of drudgery.  “Responsibilities” identifies them for what we are really trying to teach.  Since this is, in theory, a less busy time of the year, it was a good time to update my expectations on paper.

Here are the results:

Image0006

So now we are in our third week of following the chart.  The first week went pretty well.  Then we tweaked the chart to balance out the responsibilities and the days of the week better.  Chips complained that he didn’t get a chance to clean the toilets, as his best friend Samuel claimed he did.  I did not want to disappoint Chips in this, so I happily added that responsibility to the chart. 

We are now in our third week.  I would say that about 1/2 to 2/3 of the items require reminding – some of them a couple times in the same day, but by and large the children are doing what they are expected.  I have “trained” each of them in each task, and I am not complaining if things do not get done perfectly.  There is a bit of moaning and groaning from one of them (not going to name names) but they understand that it is the right thing to do, and that many of their friends have similar jobs to do. 

So I guess from now on I can sit in my recliner and read all the books that I haven’t had time to read before, right???

|
This entry was posted on 4:30 PM and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

4 comments:

On December 10, 2010 at 6:13 PM , Tara said...

Thank you for stopping by today this year has been so full. In the pictures I am the one in the brown sweater. I hope you have as great of a time as I did at you tes tonight.

 
On December 11, 2010 at 1:36 PM , Linda said...

It will pay dividends in later years. I'm pleased that my son keeps his student flat clean at university. It may not be overwhelmingly tidy (when you're busy getting to grips with engineering equations that go on for 12 pages you have to prioritise!), but he knows how to clean each room.

 
On December 12, 2010 at 7:42 PM , Liz Tolsma said...

Wow! I'm impressed. Now you'll come and do mine, right??

 
On December 13, 2010 at 5:04 PM , Marjie said...

Yes, you just go on and believe that the recliner is waiting for you! And send Chips my way when he wants more toilets to clean. I'll feed him, too, and send him home with extras for you!