Author: Breezy Point Mom
•10:40 PM

Tuesday, August 24, 2010 10:40 p.m.



..... Self-Reliant Man is here!


He's keeping me up and running, even if the fan is broken inside our computer.

It isn't the CPU cooler that is broken.  Rather, it is the power supply fan, so Self-Reliant Man's answer to that was to pull the power supply out of the tower...
... and then place it close by on a little stool, with a cardboard box fitting over it.  The cardboard box allows air to flow freely in the top and out the sides.  Then, into the top of the box we fit a cheap battery operated fan from Mal-Wart.

And so, the computer continues to work, and doesn't die after all.  And then, I am able to go online again and order a new fan, that will cost us about $13 after shipping.  So when it arrives, we can mount it on the power supply, re-install everything, and button up the tower again.

The grand result of all of this, is that I am able to bring you this lovely blog post this evening.  The computer is nine years old.  Do you think we can make another nine?

Where would I be without Self-Reliant Man?
This entry was posted on 10:40 PM and is filed under , , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

4 comments:

On August 25, 2010 at 11:26 AM , Paula said...

Self-Reliant Man to the rescue!
I once inherited a computer from my parents when they got a new one. Something was rattling around inside the case when I picked it up, so I pulled out a screw driver to take a look. Turns out my little brother had jury-rigged a fan assemblage, complete with lego blocks to hold it in place!

 
On August 25, 2010 at 7:05 PM , Liz Tolsma said...

Kudos to your hubby.
Thanks for your comment on my blog. Too bad your trip won't take you through Wisconsin. I'd love for you to come sit on my porch so we could chat over a cup of tea :)

 
On August 26, 2010 at 5:14 PM , Marjie said...

Isn't it fun to do the "fix it up" routine? My 7 year old computer, which quit playing nicely 2 springs ago, has been fixed up and is now in the Calvert School area. The hard drive formatting worked like a charm, and I just had to go buy a wireless internet catcher, like those sold for laptops. Why should I give Bill Gates and his friends more money than I need to? For that matter, I think people who give their kids their own individual computers, cell phones, ipods, game boys, etc., are just asking for trouble. My older kids think I was a jerk to refuse to let them have cell phones until they were old enough and creditworthy enough to sign the contracts, but at least I knew who was calling my kids, and they never got into trouble! How did I end up on this rant from a fan fix? Ah, the ramblings of the mind.

 
On September 1, 2010 at 5:09 PM , Linda said...

You clever engineering people! Care to come over here and take a look at our misbehaving computer? You could just extend your road trip a bit...
Or the dishwasher, which has stopped working although it's only 17 years old. Still, it does mean we're having enjoyable family times washing up by hand in the evening.

Glad you're enjoying the book!