Author: Breezy Point Mom
•7:21 AM
Thursday, July 22, 7:21 a.m.

This month, I finally took the time to go get a physical exam. Twice I got established with a primary care doctor, only for him to leave the practice for various reasons.  So it has been four years since I had a standard physical.  I had been going for my annual gyn exams, but they never included general lab work.  So this month I finally visited an internist near our home who was recommended by a friend.  This friend has never steered me the wrong way when it came to recommending good doctors, and she definitely did a good thing for me this time.

This doctor is very nice, he takes time to talk, he is not too busy, and he is thorough.  In addition, he has three children and his wife homeschools them.  What could be neater than that?

So, this Tuesday I was called back into the office to discuss the lab work that had come in, and this is what I found out: I am severely deficient in Vitamin D.  Not just a little bit.  Vitamin D levels are supposed to be between 50 and 100, and I am at 9.  So he prescribed megadoses of Vitamin D for me for the next two months.  100,000 IU per week for the first month, and 50,000 per week for the next month.  He told me that vitamin D deficiency is associated with bone, joint, and muscle pain, or diffuse aching, and higher risks for various cancers.

I keep all my lab work records, and I looked back at previous results I had.  A doctor has never ordered a vitamin D test for me before.  This is the first time.

Two days later, after I took the first megadose, I really think I feel a positive difference.  For years I have been living with diffuse aching throughout my legs and joints, especially my knees.  I thought it was a normal consequence of getting older, general bone fatigue after a busy day.  Yesterday, I was very active and busy, and I didn't notice this coming on at all.  So far today, things seem good.  I am excited to see whether the vitamin is actually helping alleviate something that I thought was just "getting older"!  If so, then this doctor is a gem.

I recommend asking a doctor for a vitamin D test when getting a check up.  I did some reading online, and this condition is more common than ever before, especially in the northern climates.  The main source of vitamin D is UVB rays from the sun.  The only common food sources are fatty fish, and some dairy foods to which it has been added.  Nonetheless, the food sources are inconsequential, as they contribute such a small dose per meal.  The UVB rays can supposedly provide all you need within 15 to 30 minutes of skin exposure, more if you are dark-skinned.

Now you would think someone like myself, who lives in the "Sunshine State", would not have this problem.  The truth is, I go outside every day, but I have always been careful to avoid sun, or to wear sunscreen.  Also, most of my time outdoors is before sunrise, and after sundown, because the sun is HOT and INTENSE here.  Here's another surprise: sunscreen blocks UVB rays; therefore sunscreen blocks what can be your only reliable, free source of the daily dose of vitamin D you need.  So while I was slathering on sunscreen to protect myself, I was also depriving myself of the only adequate source of this nutrient.  (The doctor told me I would have to eat fatty fish morning, noon, and night to get enough right now, and there is no way I am doing that!).

You have to be careful with vitamin D supplementation, though.  It should be supervised, and preceded by blood work, to be safe.  But the amount you get through sunshine is sufficient and self-limiting, preventing your body from accumulating toxic amounts (your skin doesn't convert what your body doesn't need).  Hey, I think I'm on to something.

Ask your doctor, busy mom!
This entry was posted on 7:21 AM and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

3 comments:

On July 22, 2010 at 7:49 AM , Kim @ Homesteader's Heart said...

I'm so glad you found a doctor that is patient and willing to help you get on track. It's amazing what just one vitamin can do for you. I try to make sure I go outside for at least 10-15 mins during the day just for that reason. But as you know I live in Florida too and it's just been brutally hot!Ugh!
Have a fabulous day!
Kim

 
On July 22, 2010 at 1:56 PM , Marjie said...

When I had blood work done before my surgery in January, they discovered that I had a severe iron deficiency. When it turns up on your blood test report printed in red letters with Alert! in red italics, it's not real good. Amazing how something so simple can happen, isn't it?

 
On July 30, 2010 at 7:56 PM , Paula said...

Thanks for this timely reminder. I've been hearing a lot about vitamin D deficiency lately, and had my husband get the lab test done (I figure I spend a lot more time in the sun, but maybe I should get tested too!) Trouble is he never called back to get the results--I'll have to remind him!