Author: Breezy Point Mom
•9:51 PM
Wow, it was a "fun" morning. Just returned from my second ever esophagogastroduodenoscopy, or EGD for short. Try saying that ten times fast. Anyway, this experience was more "normal" than last time, as they put me completely under using propofol for about 15 or 20 minutes. All went well except now I have to wait a week for the results of the biopsies.

You see, I have an irreversible condition known as Barrett's Esophagus, the result of self-medicating for heartburn for upwards of 12 years or more. My dad used to tell me I should go get it checked out, and have the EGD done, but I was very creeped out by that idea and figured there wasn't anything a doctor could do for me that an over the counter heartburn medicine couldn't. So when Zantac, and Prilosec, and Tagamet all came out on the market as OTCs, I stocked up on them at the supermarket.

Well, now I have Barrett's, and that puts me in the high risk group for cancer of the esophagus. So now I am on the two year plan, which means that I get to have an EGD every two years for the rest of my life. I am on surveillance, so they can see if I am making any movement across the spectrum between Barrett's and the big C. The spectrum includes various stages of cellular dysplasia, or pre-cancerous cell changes. Statistically, every year I run a 0.5% chance of developing cancer. Thats 5% in ten years, 10% in twenty years, etc. You get the picture.

Moral of the story: don't ignore heartburn. Don't let it go for years and years. Get a doctor's opinion about it, and go get that EGD if you need to. It is important.
|
This entry was posted on 9:51 PM and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

2 comments:

On August 14, 2009 at 9:46 AM , 2Thinks said...

Oh dear. This is good advice. I suppose I should also go have the very small lump on my arm checked out, as my doctor told me to about 3 months ago. *sigh* Can't we just all be healthy.

Heidi

 
On August 14, 2009 at 3:05 PM , Marjie said...

Sorry this happened to you! I've never had heartburn, and hubby only suffers from extremely spicy food, so we can avoid it alltogether. Thank you for the warning. I hope all continues to be normal for you.