Author: Breezy Point Mom
•3:53 PM

March 13, 2012 3:50 p.m.

My lifestyle has changed.  It has been a far busier year with my 4th and 7th graders, and I have not enjoyed the same amount of access to the internet that I used to.  I was trying to stay off the internet before 9 a.m. and after 8 p.m., but as a result I haven’t had much opportunity to write anything meaningful.  Chips is using the computer much more, and so is Self-Reliant Man, so I find it is harder for me to blog anymore.  It took today, a day of Chips and I having the flu, for me to slow down enough and stay home from outside activities.  After feeling like a dog turd all night and all morning, I am finally coming to myself again.  So I have some rare time to write.  The problem is figuring out what is most important to write about, since so much water has gone under the bridge in the past month. 

I will just thumb through my recent photograph to refresh my memory.  But first, a word about homeschooling.  We have made a revolutionary decision regarding our curriculum.  I am very interested in enrolling Chips in The Potter’s School for much of his high school, maybe even in the Classical Track.  But rather than discover during the Freshman year that it falls short of our expectations, I would like to determine this sooner.  So, Chips will not be using Calvert for Eighth Grade.  We will enroll him in the Potter’s School for eighth grade to see how it goes before diving in for high school.  Chips can’t wait.  After using Calvert his entire life, he is ready for a change.  He also loves the idea of using a USB headset and attending live online classes. 

So here is the plan right now.  We anticipate Chips to finish 7th grade by the end of the calendar year.  Then he will have 8-9 months of an interlude during which we will have him take a few courses.  Maybe Calvert 8th grade math, Florida Virtual School courses in keyboarding and Spanish, and the summer school Study Skills course offered by the Potter’s School.  He can also use that time to concentrate more on his violin practice.  Then, come September 2013, he can begin the 8th grade at the Potter’s School.

Sweet Girl is thriving in Calvert’s Fourth Grade and we will continue on with Calvert for her.  Having said that, I have to add that there has been a big step change in the workload for math, when compared with third grade.  It has been somewhat painful for her and for me, and not every day goes smoothly where math is concerned.  It is not that she can’t do the math, it is just that the assignments call for a level of self-discipline and organization that has been hard for her to muster.  Keeping the writing orderly, the steps in logical order, and just keeping her mind on what she is doing and where she is in the solution process hasn’t always been easy.  I am hoping that she grows into it.  She is doing remarkably well at the “building blocks” of math; for example, she can complete a 100 multiplication fact sheet in 2 minutes and 45 seconds with no errors.  It is just applying her knowledge to completing the assignment that is hard.

Here is a set of random images from the past month or so.

DSCN3959

Chips made a sugar cube pyramid for one of his art lessons.

DSCN3964

Sweet Girl studied in her PJs this day.  A science experiment for finding the volume of objects by measuring water displacement.

DSCN3971

Chips is sporting the tuxedo shirt he received from his grandfather.  Perfect for violin competitions.

DSCN3983

Here he drew a picture of the motorhome with Etch A Sketch. 

DSCN3973

Sweet Girl does an experiment in magnetism.

DSCN3969DSCN3967

And we all bicycled to our little post office to mail an important package.  Can’t get much greener than that.

More to come…

 

|
This entry was posted on 3:53 PM and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

2 comments:

On March 14, 2012 at 9:04 AM , Liz Tolsma said...

Welcome back! Good to hear from you. Sounds like you need a second computer :) Looking forward to hearing more from you.

 
On March 16, 2012 at 5:42 PM , Anonymous said...

Hi,

I can't imagine bicycling to the post office! I would love it so much.

One suggestion for Sweet Girl- At Miller Pads and Paper they sell affordable, Spiral-bound graph paper about 1cm square. When my son started Saxon 5/4 last year I began using graph paper for his math and it made a HUGE difference! It ensured neatness and proper alignment without ANY nagging or reminding on my part. I definitely think it was worth the extra money on paper. Hope it helps!