Author: Breezy Point Mom
•4:06 PM

November 8, 2011 4:06 p.m.

I received good news this year in the area of health. 

First of all, several years ago, I was diagnosed with Barrett’s Esophagus.  This is a change in the cells lining a part of the esophagus resulting from long term partially- (or un-) treated heartburn over a long period of time.  The cells basically change to stomach cells.  When I was in my late 20s, I began a pattern of developing heartburn, which increased in frequency and intensity through the years.  I self-medicated with OTC heartburn meds.  During this same time, the types of OTC meds increased in variety and effectiveness, and they somewhat were able to keep up with my increasing need for them.  But guilt caught up to me and I finally went to have it evaluated about 4 years ago.  I had an EGD (upper endoscopy) and was told of the Barrett’s.

I was disappointed to learn this, because I knew it was thought to be irreversible.  In addition, it placed me in a higher risk population for esophageal cancer.  But since then, I have tried to take my daily dose of omeprazole, and more recently have been advised to add in a dose of Pepcid Complete at bedtime.  Every two years I am supposed to have another EGD to check on things and make sure things aren’t getting worse.

Well, this summer, I was scheduled for my third EGD.  A week later, I received a call from the technician telling me that everything looked normal and that there is no longer any evidence of Barrett’s!  And yes, you guessed it, I was happy, happy, happy over this.  My doctor had mentioned in my recent visit that there have been a few patients who have been known to resolve Barrett’s through lifestyle management and daily medication.  I might also add in my opinion that prayer has more to do with it.  Turns out I am one of the few who have had such positive results.  So I am thrilled.

Has my heartburn gone away?  No.  In fact I suppose I will need this omeprazole for good.  The only thing that will cause me to avoid the need for every stronger meds will be diet and lifestyle management, which I have been doing to some extent.  But I am very happy to have gotten rid of the Barrett’s for now, and I do not have to have another EGD for three years.

Another good thing is that since July, I have had a conviction to get out exercising.  I had been living an inactive lifestyle (except for basic activities around the house).  I could tell that my body was crying out for exercise.  Then, in early mornings in late July, I began to walk more briskly than I had been doing, increasing the distance from two laps around our acreage to 3 – 4 – and finally 5 laps.  Gradually I interspersed short periods of jogging.  Then I took to the road.   I earned the Presidential Active Lifestyle Award simply by logging five periods of 30 minute exercise per week.  Recently, I have decreased the exercise sessions to three per week to not overstress my bones and joints.  Now I am routinely covering 2-1/2 miles each time I exercise, with nearly 50% of the distance covered by running.  I am loving it, and find that I crave more of it. 

This is another act of God in my life.  Earlier this year, I never thought I would have had it in me.  I am feeling so much better than I used to.  It seems that everything about my body is working better.  A couple of examples: when I enter a lit place from a dark place, my eyes adjust to the light much faster.  Also, I used to be stiff and unsteady on my feet when getting out of bed in the morning.  Now I just jump out and walk across the house like I did when I was younger.  And all it cost me was a pair of running shoes.

I am now about halfway through one of the Couch to 5K training plans that I found online here.  I am pursing the Conservative Run program.  I am trying to encourage everyone else in my family to do something similar.  So far, only the children are interested.  Winking smile 

Final health update.  My recent physical showed that I am still low in my vitamin D levels, but not as low as last year, when I was abysmally low.  .  My doctor also sent me for a bone density test, which discovered some beginning loss of bone mass, a bit more than should be at my age.  So I am adding in weight- bearing exercise for my arms on the mornings I do not run.  Mostly curls with weights in hand.    Hopefully future scans will show improvement in this area. 

Feeling good and energetic, like I am younger than I used to be.   Makes me a happier Mama.  Thankful to the Lord for this blessing, and hoping I can use my newfound energy to His glory.

|
This entry was posted on 4:06 PM and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

2 comments:

On November 10, 2011 at 3:05 PM , Linda said...

Glad that you have positive health news!
Couch to 5K is familiar to us in Scotland - my daughter and I have been following the programme, but we seem to have got stuck on week 6 for about a year. Something always happens to put us off schedule and we then just go round on week 6 again!

 
On November 11, 2011 at 4:31 PM , Marjie said...

Congratulations on your diagnosis! I am a firm believer that we can help ourselves with lifestyle changes. Hubby was diagnosed with acute kidney failure 2 years ago, with a function of only 17% - barely above dialysis level. Now, with my diet and exercise changes forced upon him, his kidney function is up to 39%. His pre diabetes has also gone away. I'm working on banishing his high cholesterol, too, and I feel like we're all healthier for it.

I have to go for a bone density scan, probably in early January. I hope it won't be bad news.