Author: Breezy Point Mom
•10:49 PM

October 30, 2011 10:49 p.m.

And my blog has become so neglected.

Thank you to my friends who have left comments to see how we are doing.  I have been wanting to respond but have had limited access to my own computer these days.  We are okay.  We just have a lot going on, and we are spending too little time actually at home.

Something about the month of October, when the weather finally grows pleasant around here, all the activities kick up and life gets so full of appointments and scheduled events.  I truly forget all about this every summer when things have slowed down for a while and I decide to sign up for new things.  Then those new things actually materialize.  And then I remember.

Let’s start by making categories, so I can remember everything I want to write about.  On category per post.  Let’s start with homeschooling, since it takes up more of my time than anything else.

Homeschooling

Our lives had some unexpected turns in the early Fall this year, and it has impacted our homeschool schedule.  My goal has always been to get a year of lessons done and out of the way by Thanksgiving, so that we can enjoy our “summer break” between then and New Year’s Day.  Every year, the end date creeps a bit closer to Christmas.  This year, it looks like Chips won’t be done until mid-December.  Self-Reliant Man has suggested that I just stop, anyway, at the beginning of December and finish up what’s left after the New Year.  But I hate to stop with just 5-10 lessons left, you know what I mean?  And then it slows down my beginning in 2012.  I am just particular that way, I guess. 

I have to say that Calvert has been keeping me so busy lately and I have been somewhat amazed at how long it has been taking to accomplish our lesson objectives for each day.  Part of this has been on account of our personal situation, however.  Ever since early September, it has been difficult for the children, and myself, to focus on the daily responsibilities.  We have had a hard time getting going in the mornings, and then the situation snowballs for the rest of the day.  Chips’ lesson day seems to grow very long, because once he gets done with his part, I have to go back and check his work.  This process often requires more than one iteration; he doesn’t always get it corrected in the second pass.  Also by this part of the day, I am having to do chores around the house or even cook dinner.  Or we have to get in the car and go to activities.  Also, I am finding that I need to read the history, geography, science, and/or literature assignments before discussing them with Chips, and it gets to be a bit much these days.  My reading concentration skills aren’t so good any more.  I am in the process of inquiring about Calvert Virtual Academy for 7th grade for Chips.  Yes, I know it cost more, but if it frees me up a little bit from some of the daily involvement, I am all for it.  However, having said that, I also want to know in advance if it will make my life more complicated.  If that is the case, I want no part of it. 

Responding flexibly to unexpected turns.  That’s what homeschooling is supposed to be about, right?  Being flexible and being able to handle life’s unexpected turns? 

On the encouraging side, Sweet Girl is getting so close to the end of Third Grade!  She only has about two weeks left to go.  She is getting more independent in her work, and does extremely well when her attitude is right.  In fact, she just got back her test 140 in the mail last week.  It was a perfect test, all 1’s, with not a single error.  She was very happy about that. 

As for me?  There are distractions at every turn.  I need to stay more focused.  Pray for that, please.

DSCN3636

With the arrival of beautiful weather, Chips loves to do his work outside.  Being surrounded by the wonders of nature, however, does slow his progress a good bit.

DSCN3645

But always, he has the happy company of his doggy, Beau.

DSCN3638

Calvert 6th grade science involves a project building a weather station.  It began with the barometer.  We have been amazed at how responsive this barometer has been to changes in the weather.

DSCN3647

The weather station gradually added a thermometer, wind vane, and a rain gauge.

DSCN3648

The final addition to the weather station was an anemometer (the styrofoam cups on top).  And no, the weather station didn’t hold up too well to inclement weather.  But Chips surely had fun setting it up!

DSCN3640

Sweet Girl decided to sew her own dress for her doll, entirely by herself.  She was very motivated and she made a nice little dress.  She made a pillow for her doll, too.

Next post will be about   …….. Music.

|
This entry was posted on 10:49 PM and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

1 comments:

On November 1, 2011 at 4:22 PM , Marjie said...

Putting the weather station in a wagon so it's portable was brilliant! Ours got beaten up by very early spring weather (snow and rain) so we didn't even get the whole thing complete. But it was a fun project. This change in Science from when Ryan was in 6th grade was positive, I thought. And it's nice to see Beau doing school work with his boy. I suspect he's getting no more out of it than Thor did: companionship but no book learning. But it does create nice memories for the kids.

And I'm proud of your daughter for sewing her own doll dress. My daughters started that way, too, and can now sew anything (although they usually don't). It's a handy skill. She's growing up to be a real beauty, and obviously very smart as well. You have much to be proud of with these two children.