Author: Breezy Point Mom
•7:33 AM

September 25, 2011 7:33 p.m.

One of the things that made the events of this month even harsher was its timing.  Our family had been getting prepared for our annual vacation.  We were packing the van, setting it up, and getting all our beach stuff together, when we got word of tragedy.  So on the Saturday we were supposed to leave for vacation, we ended up leaving for a funeral.  For several days, we had all that beach related stuff gathered in front of our fireplace, wondering if we would get a chance to use it for a happy time soon.  Looking at it was a poignant reminder of what was really going on.  So it made a sad time even sadder.

Well, I am happy to say that our vacation is still on, and it begins in less than a day. 

But before that, a few more things I wanted to share about the past week or two.  Since Self-Reliant Man is his mother’s only son, we had several practical matters we had to be available for while in Pensacola, causing us to stay there for several days.  There were appointments made for the bank, the accountant, and time spent in various places going through boxes and things and taking some things back to our house.  And then, I panic a little bit when I see all the things we are taking home, although it isn’t very much.  Photo albums, saved cards and papers, a little memorabilia, books, and clothing, mostly.   So I have been working on organizing better in my own house, throwing out things, and trying to find a way to absorb the new items.  Dorothy kept every single letter, card, and piece of artwork that Chips and Sweet Girl ever sent her.  It made me feel good to see how much that was!  She should definitely have known she was thought about, even though as the children got older and acquired more demands on their time, the flow of notes and drawings had slowed quite a bit.  That is a little sad thing about growing older, I guess.

Anyway, one of the things we brought home with us was the jacket that Self-Reliant Man won when he was 12 years old.  Self-Reliant Man was the state soap box derby winner in 1979.  He got the opportunity to travel (for free!) to Ohio to participate in the nationals, and actually came in 7th place nationally.  This was a moment of glory for Self-Reliant Man as a boy, and Chips is happy to have acquired his dad’s boyhood jacket.  Fortunately, for now, it fits.

DSCN3464

Another thing is that not only have I completed the requirements for the Presidential Active Lifestyle Award, but I also have been slowly moving on a track to prepare for a 5K run.  No, I am not signed up for a 5K, but I am coming along in building up my body’s ability to run more and walk less as I cover distances between 2 and 3 miles on most mornings.  One morning, I was returning to my home and found a striking sunrise.  I returned to my house, grabbed my camera, and went back to the end of my street, trying to get a photo.  It wasn’t quite as pretty by then, but here is what I got.  This is what Breezy Point looks like on a misty September morning. 

DSCN3456

Well, I have got to go prepare for worship.  We have a busy day today.  Sunday School, Nursery Duty, Worship, and Orchestra Rehearsal.  Then the final touches on our packing for vacation tomorrow.  Yippee!!  We getting away from Florida and getting a chance to cool off some.  Ocean Lakes here we come!

|
This entry was posted on 7:33 AM and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

3 comments:

On September 26, 2011 at 2:03 PM , Marjie said...

It's wonderful that your husband had a nice childhood memory revived, and that your son gets to share it by virtue of the jacket. And congratulations on your running! I'm so happy for you that you've been able to keep it up! Enjoy your much deserved vacation!

 
On September 27, 2011 at 3:30 PM , Linda said...

You'll make a photo blogger yet! It looks very warm and humid in the photo - it must make it more difficult to exercise, unlike here where you have to keep moving to keep warm.
How lovely that your husband's prize shirt has been kept all these years.
Hope you're all enjoying a lovely holiday after your recent sad time.

 
On October 3, 2011 at 12:08 PM , Sarah said...

I was sorry to read about your family's loss. I haven't been reading blogs lately--life has been intense and I had to just focus on my family for awhile. We have had two funerals this summer--both of my beloved grandfathers passed away within a couple months of each other. They were both in their 80's, and the losses were not unexpected--but the emotions are intense. It's the first time in over two decades that I have lost someone close to me. I'm so glad that Chips got to play for his grandmother's funeral. We had the sweet experience of playing a simple song--I Am a Child of God--for each of my Grandpa's funerals, with all the cousins who play string instruments. My Rachel played both times as well, and I was so glad she could participate. One of my little cousins is just 3 years old, he doesn't really play any songs yet but he stood up with the rest of the group with his violin in his hand.
I will pray for your family as you move on and adjust to changes in your lives. In some ways I'm grateful for the reminder that mortal life is short--it helps me remember to focus on things that really matter, relationships that really matter, and not worry about those things that don't.